Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Found a Featherweight at a yard sale >

Found a Featherweight at a yard sale

Found a Featherweight at a yard sale

Old 09-08-2014, 03:56 PM

Default Found a Featherweight at a yard sale

Found a Featherweight at a yard sale this weekend and paid $10.00 for it. It is in remarkably good condition as is the case except that the pins that hold the upper part of the latch assembly on the case have pulled out. Can someone explain or refer me to instructions for repairing this? Also, I think it needs a new foot pedal as there seemed to be a slight electrical sensation when I plugged it in and touched the fly wheel. I immediately unplugged and plugged in the foot pedal from my personal Featherweight and the sensation was gone. Any suggestions where to find a foot pedal reasonably? I have no sewing shops locally. Thanks, Ann in TN
Old 09-08-2014, 04:03 PM

Congrats on the major score! Go out and get a lottery ticket too while your luck holds. You can try Sew-Classic.com for a new foot pedal. I don't know if it needs to be something special for the featherweight, I kind of doubt it. Without seeing the damage to the case I don't know exactly what it would take to fix it but at a $10 buy-in you have plenty of room to make the necessary repairs and set things up how you want them.
Rodney
Old 09-08-2014, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

That is a great deal! Have fun with it
Old 09-08-2014, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

​Congratulations!
Old 09-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Banned

Excellent score! Now see, I called it on the other thread yesterday when I said a $10 FW could still be found!

I don't necessarily think you need a new controller. What you have is a bare wire touching metal somewhere, or two wires touching. Very easy fix.

Cari
Old 09-08-2014, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Without seeing the damage to the case I don't know exactly what it would take to fix it. Rodney
Rodney, here is a poor picture of the problem. Basically the pins on both of the latches that hold them to the case have pulled out.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490838[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1345.jpg  
Old 09-08-2014, 08:22 PM

I have receive these pins when ordering hinges from Glenn Williams. Check and see if he stocks the pins.
GLENN WILLIAMS
SINGER 221/222K & 301 SEWING MACHINE
1111 N. Riverhills Drive
Temple Terrace, Florida 33617-4215
Phone (813) 988-1970 Fax (813) 988-3125
Email [email protected]
Old 09-09-2014, 03:52 AM

A WHAT for $10 ???? Very, very rare price for FW....you scored at the top!! So u got plenty change to spend on parts for latch pin. How does it sew? Have a great pleasure sewing on a wonderful machine!
Old 09-09-2014, 05:29 AM

A FW for $10???? WOW, you certainly hit the jackpot on that find. And like the others have said you have a few dollars to spend to get it in tip top shape and still be way under the going price for FWS.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:04 AM

Than;s for the picture.
You're probably going to have to do something about the wood holding the nails as well. The holes are loose now.
Glue a couple little pieces of wood in the holes to fill them then go to a GOOD hardware store and buy a tiny drill bit that is slightly smaller than your nails. Carefully drill the nailholes slightly less deep than your nails and then put it back together.
I recommend this because the original holes won't hold anymore, the predrilling is so you don't split the wood in the case.
Rodney