Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Found a machine like the one I learned on... >

Found a machine like the one I learned on...

Found a machine like the one I learned on...

Old 08-04-2013, 05:09 PM

Default Found a machine like the one I learned on...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]428354[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]428355[/ATTACH]

It is a White 77 Rotary in a cabinet, it needed a good cleaning, some new knobs, a new drive pulley, bobbin winder rubber and a new cord. But it sews like a champ with a perfectly balanced stitch.
Now I have to make room for that big cabinet in my little sewing room!
Sure brings back some fond memories!
Attached Thumbnails 250.jpg   253.jpg  
Old 08-04-2013, 06:34 PM

Yup, very popular. I believe it was the first KENMORE sewing machine when they began to sell it under that name. I have one that's identical..couldn't resist it. Hope it sews well.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

Congratulations!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 07:30 PM

Very nice!

Do these use the standard 15x1 needles?
Old 08-04-2013, 07:32 PM

That is what I put in it and it worked without any problem, so it must be ok.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:39 AM

I know you are excited, finding a piece of your past. Is the cabinet just like the one you learned on?

I learned on my grandmother's treadle and my mom had given it to a neighbor many years ago. I went to visit the neighbor several years ago to ask if she would sell the machine back to me. She was so pleased that I still wanted it and gave it to me. Shortly after, she died. I'm so glad I took the chance and went to see her. And now, I have that machine to try and fix it up. It's in my sister's garage right now so I need to get at it soon or it might not be fixable.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:51 AM

That is neat you found that model - love the cabinet too. I started on this crazy path when I got a desire to find a 201 like I learned to sew on. I'd love to get the actual machine. I didn't even know my Mom was willing to part with it - until I found out it was already gone to my Niece with all of my Mom's other sewing stuff. My niece has since moved to Chicago, so I doubt I'd ever get my hands on it. Oh well, I've got plenty of other people's Grandma's machines! I love hearing the stories behind them and plan on writing them out before I forget them.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:05 PM

nanna, I cannot remember the details of the cabinet of my childhood so this may or may not be the same
My mom has yet to see my acquisition, maybe she will remember the cabinet

macybaby, I DO NOT plan to get more vintage machines, but I LOVE to see all the ones posted here, so I will never say never The history of this machine is that it originally belonged to the lady who did all the alterations for JC Penneys locally ( back when they offered that service, lol )
We traded ours in back in the 60s for a Singer with zigzag and cams - I needed the zigzag for my 4-H projects!
Old 08-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

And now you get to make more memories! Congrats!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
That is neat you found that model - love the cabinet too. I started on this crazy path when I got a desire to find a 201 like I learned to sew on. I'd love to get the actual machine. I didn't even know my Mom was willing to part with it - until I found out it was already gone to my Niece with all of my Mom's other sewing stuff. My niece has since moved to Chicago, so I doubt I'd ever get my hands on it. Oh well, I've got plenty of other people's Grandma's machines! I love hearing the stories behind them and plan on writing them out before I forget
them.
Wouldn't hurt to ask your neice if she would sell or trade with you. All she can say is no. I have my grandmothers 201 and love it.