Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Found a new to me vintage Singer! >

Found a new to me vintage Singer!

Found a new to me vintage Singer!

Old 07-22-2019, 05:38 PM

I have a 404 I store at church so I don't have to transport a machine on sewing days. Nice little straight stitch machine. Last week it made a 13 foot by 7 foot curtain out of upholstery fabric and sewed right through it. Enjoy yours.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:39 PM

Well, my researching loving little heart found "Andy Tube" on YouTube and his restoration series of a 404 -- beyond helpful to me on a couple points! Must admit, my initial thought when picking this gal up was that she was fairly clean. However, after getting her home realized I really did need to go over her! To say she makes me smile now looking at her is an understatement -- the table she came in isn't in "great" shape, but to me that shows it's been used and appreciated. That has been cleaned and oiled thoroughly, and smells lightly citrus now. The 404 wasn't taken completely apart, but I did take the top off, the bobbin area apart and cleaned, and also took the bottom pan off and cleaned that up. Took alcohol to a few spots to really clean off the old yellowed nicotine -- but really, it didn't take too long or too much to get her cleaned up nicely. Now I just need to order a bulb for her and she'll be complete!

Oh, and for anyone wondering -- she sews like a dream!
Old 07-24-2019, 06:32 AM

Fabulous. Are you going to send a picture? You will need to shrink it.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:37 PM

I was playing around with how to get pics uploaded the other night, specifically so I could. Still working with it a bit, but hope to here shortly!