found a singer 99k !!

Old 05-30-2014, 07:40 AM

Default found a singer 99k !!

Found a Singer 99k, 1956, and it was local ...$50 in a case, all clean too. Reading on the older singers this past year, esp the 99 made an impression so it's been on my mind to get one if there was opportunity. I did a Craig's list 99 search in our area and found this one local.

Last edited by MichelleP; 05-30-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

Don't you just love those super deals when you can just take a little drive and pick it up? Good for you!!
Old 05-30-2014, 08:23 AM

Yay! How fun and you will really like your 99.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:05 AM

I think you're going to love it! I have a 66 that's one of my favorite machines and a 99K that I'm giving my daughter once I'm done repairing the finish and building a box for it. When I tested my daughter's machine it made a really nice looking stitch.
If you don't already know they use standard 15x1 sewing machine needles and class 66 bobbins. I recommend you buy your bobbins from someone reputable like Sew-Classic.com or hunt for vintage ones. The new ones you can buy at Walmart and Joann's are too narrow for most vintage bobbin winders.
Rodney
Old 05-31-2014, 03:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I think you're going to love it! I have a 66 that's one of my favorite machines and a 99K that I'm giving my daughter once I'm done repairing the finish and building a box for it. When I tested my daughter's machine it made a really nice looking stitch.
If you don't already know they use standard 15x1 sewing machine needles and class 66 bobbins. I recommend you buy your bobbins from someone reputable like Sew-Classic.com or hunt for vintage ones. The new ones you can buy at Walmart and Joann's are too narrow for most vintage bobbin winders.
Rodney
Do you ever sell those boxes you make???
Old 05-31-2014, 07:50 AM

You really got yourself a bargain there. I gave my DIL a 99k several years ago with strict orders that if she ever sold it, she better not get less than $300 for it. She lives in Texas, and vintage machines come at a premium there.

And BTW, congratulations on your lucky purchase. You will love the 99K, especially for piecing. It is so quiet, and easy to operate. Anyone who takes sewing/quilting lessons from me gets to use one of these if they want to use an older machine.

Last edited by oldtnquiltinglady; 05-31-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:36 AM

It's great to have you all share in the excitement of my 99 find. And I love the comments with your knowledge and experience with them.
Thanks for the tips Rodney on the bobbin and needles. I didn't know that. I'm keeping I'd cards on the old machines and writing specs for each as I learn. The first machine on got back in the fall is a 66 in a cabinet. It was already very clean , but I knew nothing and started to pick out the red felt by the bobbin lever thinking it was a mess of thread jammed in there. Now I know better. You're talented to be able to make the boxes for the machines to sit in.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:56 AM

do you have any feather weight for sale I'm looking for one could you tell everyone so I can get one if you know someone thanks mary