Franklin Treadle

Old 10-29-2014, 06:29 AM

It does look like yours simply came loose from the wood top cover. You'll have to look to see if the pin is there, or if that is what fell out. There is a small hole drilled in the edge of the back side and that is where the pin goes.

This shows the location of where it attaches to the top cover, and how it feed through the pulley.

And how mine attaches to the tray - yours is not identical, but the mechanics are the same.

I normally have to "help" mine as that back flap doesn't like to fold back quite like it should, not a big deal and may just need cleaning.

This is the back edge - see the little screw head that is in between the railing? that is the back end of the pin that holds the cable. I have not taken one out, so don't know what it's like.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:32 AM

Cathy - Thanks so much. I can see now that Joe's tips forward. Yes, this machine tips back. It has a cable of some sort that is attached to the black tray and runs through a spool thing on the back of the top and yes, there are curves for it along the back and lid but I can't see how it would attach to the lid. I think on the far end of the lid in the cut out there looks like it might have had something. There are holes perpendicular in the curve but nothing there. Would love to see a picture particularly where the cable ends in the lid.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:34 AM

hehe - I think you posted while I was editing my post LOL!!

if you want more pictures, let me know. This one is sitting in my bedroom so it's easy to get to.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:36 AM

Cathy - you were evidently posting when I was replying. Thanks for the pictures!!! Yes, there is no pin.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:39 AM

one of the drawbacks to the back tipping machines, they need to be firmly attached on the front edge, or they fall backwards on their hinges when tipped. A forward tipping machine won't do this. However you normally only do that once . . .
Old 10-29-2014, 06:46 AM

Boy - The light has dawned. I can see the hole on the side of the lid. I had seen the one inside the cut out but couldn't figure out how you would get a pin in there. Well, duh, now I understand! Thank you so very much. I assume I should be able to use something to make a pin? Now I have to worry about firmly attaching the machine in the front? Oh, great. Still need to clean it up before installing it back in the cabinet. Someone used clothes line for the belt. Do you know if this works?
Old 10-29-2014, 07:16 AM

If you see that round button (or knob) on the front of your machine by the pillar - look underneath that that should be the latching/attaching point to secure the front end. Some have hooks with springs to hold them closed (so make sure the spring is strong) and some have a knob that screws into a bolt, so just a larger wood screw that goes into the wood of the cabinet . . .

And check your cabinet to make sure what ever type of catch you have - the cabinet isn't broken at that point either.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:46 AM

egads,

Yes that's a cat tail. Not sure which cat though.

My machine is buried but I'll dig it out and take some pics of the chain's attachment points.

Joe
Old 10-29-2014, 11:04 AM

Joe, thanks but I have now figured out what the problem is. Thank you, but don't trouble getting more pictures. I just need to figure out what I can use for a pin. Also would like to know if anyone has used a clothesline for the pulley? You guys are great and a huge help!!
Old 10-29-2014, 11:44 AM

this listing has a pin - to show you what they look like.

I went to the shed, and though I have four tops that take pins, none of them have a pin there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eldridge-Ant...item3a9a3130cd