FW motor grease/oil wool?

Old 04-30-2012, 06:06 AM

Default FW motor grease/oil wool?

Hi, Are there other types of grease ok to use in motor of FW? I have some grease for Wahl Clippers. Would that be ok? Where would I get Singer Grease, replacement light bulbs?

Also I can't get the screw out to remove the bottom plate and replace the wool felt oil pad. Any suggestions?

I can't remove the screw by the Thread pin to remove the top over to oil in there as indicated in the manual. The screw head is already a little damaged from where a previous owner tried to force it.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:51 AM

DO NOT use lubricant and grease not made for sewing machines!!!! You can buy Singer oil and grease at any big box store. You may need to get a replacement screw for the one that is partially stripped. You can try using liquid wrench on the stuck screws to get them out, but it would be good to contact a FW parts person (sites on the internet) to get a new screw if need be.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:14 AM

Both my Walmart and Joann's had the singer oil, but neither had the motor/gear grease. I did find it at the singer shop. You can try the liquid wrench or wd40 on the screw, the wrap it in a cloth and due pliers. I would get a new screw to replace it with. As you can see, the screws don't need to be super tight, just snug enough to hold their part in place.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:08 AM

Thanks for screw help. I Wd-40'd it then DH used a towel and pliers. Worked like a charm. Won't be putting either one of them back on so tight.