FW Table Restore Done!

Old 05-28-2019, 05:48 AM

Default FW Table Restore Done!

From my last thread I started on 5/22/19 I promised an update once this project was completed. Well, I finished yesterday and will share the outcome.

I've included photos of the bottom with brackets and hinges, the table with and without my FW and also a before picture prior to any work done which shows the condition I started with.

I painted all metal parts (not the hinge springs) including legs, hinges, screw heads, and brackets. This was done after I de-rusted with Evaporust and cleaned thoroughly. I used a spray Rustoleum etching primer followed by black high gloss Rustoleum spray High Performance Enamel. The underside I stained with Minwax Ebony stain, and the side wood trim I painted with Valspar furniture paint. The legs I followed up with a spray Rustoleum clear topcoat. I live in Florida and due to the humidity I wanted to protect all the metal parts. I could have gotten by with only painting the legs for appearance sake. After and during final assembly I greased the hinge areas well and will apply wax to
the hinges, legs, and brackets for additional protection to prevent rust forming again.

The top and sides, after staining and finish (see my last thread for details) I followed up with Howard Feed N Wax to polish and protect.

The brackets that hold the machine had old deteriorated leather cushion protectors. I removed these and replaced with the brushed velcro as did Still Stitching. This was very easy and the self sticking velcro worked great. My FW fits in perfectly and is protected against any scratching to the metal while inserting.

I did try the Softtouch chaiir tips as suggested by Still Stitching to protect the bottom of the legs but neither the 1" nor 3/4" fit properly and would not allow correct clearance when the table legs were folded.

I'm happy with the result - it's not perfect but a vast improvement and the imperfections in the top veneer blend in well. I have a smooth surface now for sewing and the leg hinges work beautifully after clean up and lubrication.

As I mentioned, this table was free and I think the owner had no use for it and did not want to bother with fixing it up. This project gave me a lot of insight on what to do for the FW table I inherited from my aunt - this one is in much better shape. I never planned on having two tables but maybe I will use both once the other one is done and I might consider doing something different with the next one - such as no stain to the veneer, etc.

I hope this info is helpful. I've gained so much valuable information from this site that I wanted to share some of my experience related to vintage machines.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]613332[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]613333[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]613334[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]613335[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]613336[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]613337[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]613338[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]613339[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails fw-table-before-restore-work.jpg   fw-table-done.jpg   fw-table-complete.jpg   fw-table-after.jpg   fw-table-fw.jpg  

fw-table-brackets.jpg   fw-table-bottom-done.jpg   fw-table-bottom-before.jpg  
Old 05-28-2019, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Looks great! You did some nice work.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

The only way it would look better is if it was at my house!
Old 05-28-2019, 06:20 AM

Looks great! I inherited a fw that was found in my in-laws attic, it was in the case with attachments. Will have to watch for a table! The case is pretty smelly!
Old 05-28-2019, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

wow, what a beautiful job you did
Old 05-29-2019, 03:51 AM

Awesome, another one saved from the landfill.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:31 AM

What a great redo! I agree with Tartan! I want one of those in the worst way!
Old 05-29-2019, 05:07 AM

Wonderful restoration! I’ll have to be on the lookout for a table now for my FW
Old 05-29-2019, 10:34 AM

Fantastic. I ended up with 5 FW.....still want a white one and maybe a table. Be proud of your work...good job!
Old 05-29-2019, 01:13 PM

Great redo job, looks fabulous!