Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GE Machine finished

Mine came with a 15x1 needle in it, but wouldn't pick up the thread til I dropped the needle about 1/8" which leads me to believe it was either adjusted for a 20x1 needle at some point, or that the earliest models used that. But when I google Standard Sewhandy i can't find any good info. any insight on this. I'd buy the 2nd vol of the book "Before the Featherweight-Sewhandy" Vol II but can't find it for sale. And the google preview skips the page on needles.
    Jim

"What do you mean worrying doesn't help? Everything I ever worried about...never happened!"
    quote by __________ I forget who.

The manual for the GE SewHandy specifies 15x1 needles and mine came with a GE branded needle packet that was labeled 15x1. It sews great with them. GE would be the earlier machines.

Standard before GE, Osan Etc. 1928.
    Jim

"What do you mean worrying doesn't help? Everything I ever worried about...never happened!"

So, GE didn't create this machine and bought it from Standard?

That book i mentioned is previewable on google and vol is avail for Nook. Im Nookless. But yes thats what i read. im going to see needle bar for 15x1 and see how it goes. Mine is early production 1928. Chanes til cease production in1938
    Jim

Mine is pretty noisy. Play in gear mesh bobbin carrier etc. Wish i had a service manual!
    Jim

Oh, interesting. I don't have the second volume. I do have the FW book. Can you post a few pics of the bobbin assembly on yours? Mine doesn't have any play. I wonder if they're different?

Quote Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
    Mine came with a 15x1 needle in it, but wouldn't pick up the thread til I dropped the needle about 1/8" which leads me to believe it was either adjusted for a 20x1 needle at some point, or that the earliest models used that. But when I google Standard Sewhandy i can't find any good info. any insight on this. I'd buy the 2nd vol of the book "Before the Featherweight-Sewhandy" Vol II but can't find it for sale. And the google preview skips the page on needles.
    Check out www.alibris.com. Looks like they have it.

Hey! Thanks!!
    Jim

Wow, much better!

Jim

I don't know how I double posted, sorry... anyway, I did manage to take out some of the noise/slop in the bobbin case retainer. There is a bit of balancing as far as holding it in, there is a screw on the underside which tightens the retainer against the bobbin case,
    Name:  2014-05-12 20.26.25.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  245.0 KB
    and a screw on the top of the retainer which keeps it parallel,
    Name:  2014-05-12 20.26.02.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  207.3 KB
    Once I got those balanced out, it was quieter. I also needed to remove a spacer from the upper tension which didn't belong there, and kept the presser foot lifter from releasing the tension. Next up, will be to set the needle bar height to take 15X1 needles.
    May also work on taking out a little of the gear lash. But not too much, because they are brass gears, and wouldn't take much to ruin them I think.
    Name:  2014-05-11 13.49.44.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  160.6 KB
    I like how the wood base basically holds the whole electrical harness and all powered items, save the light.
    Last edited by oldsewnsew; 05-12-2014 at 08:48 PM.
    Jim

Yes, it's the same innards as mine. Just a note, unless the motor is having issues, don't take it apart. It was a bear to get back and keep it from binding. Cathy M. and I spent a lot of time fussing with both of ours. So, beware disassembling the motor!

Thanks for the warning! Its fine for awhile. Just want to deal with the play in the shaft/gears.
    Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2