Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Getting a Singer foot control OUT of the cabinet >

Getting a Singer foot control OUT of the cabinet

Getting a Singer foot control OUT of the cabinet

Old 03-02-2015, 04:12 PM

Default Getting a Singer foot control OUT of the cabinet

*Phew. !*&$XX$%!! Why are these so hard to get out? Is there a trick? To start with they are not in an easy area to get to. You certainly aren't going to be getting a rubber mallet above it to give it a tap! I am push and wrangling and trying every possible handgrip combo I can think of and I cannot get this bugger out! I layed down underneath to be sure it was supposed to come out the bottom and not the top.

Does anyone have a method that does not involve swearing?
Old 03-02-2015, 04:51 PM

Y. . .
(sheepish look)
No.

I put a screwdriver in between the right side of the pedal and the clip on the right side. Then I pulled the screwdriver towards the front of the cabinet with one hand and tried to pull the pedal with the other. That got out the pedal and the little two hole button stuck behind it. When I put the pedal back in it clipped in place the way they say it should go.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
Y. . .
(sheepish look)
No.

I put a screwdriver in between the right side of the pedal and the clip on the right side. Then I pulled the screwdriver towards the front of the cabinet with one hand and tried to pull the pedal with the other. That got out the pedal and the little two hole button stuck behind it. When I put the pedal back in it clipped in place the way they say it should go.
I'm trying not to laugh, but you're not making it easy.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

The one time I did it I had a son to help and we had to use force and a screw driver
Old 03-02-2015, 06:02 PM

I'm sure it pulls downward but I can nearly do a mini chin up using my full body weight and it will not come out! Grrrrrrr!!
Old 03-02-2015, 07:22 PM

OK I got it out. Finally! I used a screwdriver and put it between the retaining spring (wire) and the back of the holder. Then by pulling it away from the holder it released the back of the controller.

It's a good thing too. There were gooey, oily marks where the feet were. I took the controller outside to open it up. The feet were gooey and greasy. I had difficulty opening it. One of the wires is completely detached and was melted to the top piece of the control. It looks like it overheated but not sure why. I didn't expect those heat resistant sleeves to melt like that. The cord looks completely fine up until it goes into the foot control.

I wonder if any of it is salvageable?
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0009-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 03-03-2015, 05:16 AM

Congratulations! Sometimes there is nothing else that works except swearing and bad words. Do you have enough electrical cord to shop of the damaged ends and re-attach? Check it outside of the housing to see if you can find any issues?
Old 03-03-2015, 08:19 AM

Everything outside the housing looks normal. I was thinking I would cut off the damage and check the wires but if it looks good I could clean it up and re-wire it. I'm just wondering if it's safe to do that.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:23 AM
Banned

Better safe than sorry. I would remove the two screws and check under that insulator. Clean everything then reassemble
Old 03-03-2015, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Better safe than sorry. I would remove the two screws and check under that insulator. Clean everything then reassemble
Roger that!