Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Good machine to learn rehabbing on? >

Good machine to learn rehabbing on?

Good machine to learn rehabbing on?

Old 11-20-2013, 08:13 PM

Default Good machine to learn rehabbing on?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/for/4156804282.html

I have a few vintage machines but I sew on them regularly and really don't want to take one out of service and risk not having it available but I want a machine I can take apart top to bottom and learn with. This is a 128 and it shows the accessories for $30. Is this a good machine to start with? The a says it doesn't run now so I'm not counting on it to work and use off the bat. Yes, I know, it could be an addiction and I want to jump in anyway.
PS. This one's been up for awhile so I wonder if they would take less.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:00 AM
Power Poster

That one isn't going to be much of a challenge unless you are going to rewire it. You can always put a hand crank on it. If you want to learn to do repairs you need to buy out someone's shed full cheap & don't really care if some end up working or not. I would care if that one works.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:26 AM

I'd buy that one and set it aside. Then buy one that didn't matter if I ruined it or not. One with really worn decals as that is what you'll riun if you mess up.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:09 AM

OTOH it looks like it'd be fairly straightforward to do and the result would be fabulous.
It wouldn't be especially difficult but the results would be very reinforcing...so yes...this would be your gateway drug.

At that price you should get it regardless.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:18 AM

I'd get it but I'd be afraid to dig too deep. That's a nice looking older machine with a good case and good decals. I wouldn't want to mess it up. I'd find a newer more common machine to gut first.
Rodney
Old 11-21-2013, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by trivia42 View Post
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/for/4156804282.html

I have a few vintage machines but I sew on them regularly and really don't want to take one out of service and risk not having it available but I want a machine I can take apart top to bottom and learn with. This is a 128 and it shows the accessories for $30. Is this a good machine to start with? The a says it doesn't run now so I'm not counting on it to work and use off the bat. Yes, I know, it could be an addiction and I want to jump in anyway.
PS. This one's been up for awhile so I wonder if they would take less.
Fantastic. Buy it. Absolutely!

This is the same machine I am cleaning up now. "Yours" has fabulous decals!!!! When you get to the alcohol part of the Glenn Method, just do as he says, and you will not mess up.

Are you good with your hands? This is a GREAT machine to learn on. Take off the handwheel, the bobbin winder, the face plate, take out the presser foot bar, the needle bar... as much as you like! I did all this, and learned so very much about how a machine works. Take apart the tension, also. Taking apart every screw of the bobbin winder is fun, and useful for getting things moving again.

Yes, really I think, as a fellow novice, that this is a great machine to work on. And if you mess up and cannot get things back together, then don't worry. We are here to help.

My only advice is to take many many photos as you go. And whenever you are unsure, just ask.

Cecilia
Old 11-21-2013, 07:48 AM

I had thought about converting to HC. That should be fairly easy with the spoked wheel, yes? I wanted to tear it down because it works right now (motor/power excluded) so I could see what its supposed to look like the right way and then put it back together the right way. I considered a shed full of beaters but I think I would get more discouraged though if someone offered to drop a pile at my door I wouldn't be sad. I also liked this one because it was mostly complete, shuttle, bobbin plates, bobbins. I know these are all easily had but it makes it that much faster to dig in when I don't have to wait for a bunch of parts to be drop-shipped.
I'm going to call tomorrow afternoon when I'm off work and see about it. I don't need another to sew on per se, I wanted a project. (As if I don't have enough sewing projects already with Christmas coming. *sigh*)
Old 11-21-2013, 08:01 AM

I put a hand crank on the one that I have and my oldest DGD will be playing on it when she comes up at Christmas time. All I needed to do was take sewing machine oil and clean it off, used Tri Flow inside on everything that moved and she stitches so nice and is so pretty.[ATTACH=CONFIG]447966[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails little-singer-001.jpg  
Old 11-22-2013, 05:07 AM

Get it regardless! That will clean up to be one beautiful machine!
Old 11-22-2013, 05:08 PM

Oh boy, ask Karma for something and she doesn't disappoint. I wanted a machine to work on and I got one! The needle bar didn't move when I got to the house but the handwheel did and the people selling are antique dealers who picked it up at auction. :/ They have no clue nor care. They overprice cabinets and wonder why they don't sell.

I offered 25 instead of 30 and they took it. On the drive home I put it lovingly in the back seat and had to make a sudden swerve (Kansas drivers are generally maniacs). The whole thing went arse over tit into the floorboard and now the bent wood case isn't coming off, not that it was on securely to begin with. Whacking the case up with a rubber mallet has helped somewhat to loosen it and the case isn't in that great a shape to begin with so I think I'll be on the look out for a new case or call my dad to build one. I will sacrifice the case if I have to.
The bobbin tire is dried and shot, so is the belt, no surprise there. Planning to HC it so not worried about the motor except to take off and tinker with another time. I'm also considering asking my dad, in his winter-bordem (he's a farmer so work is more seasonal) to find some treadle irons and make a top for it, just for grins. Called LSMG and asked if they had or could get a HC. He quoted me around $40 so I think I'll go to sew classic for that one since they have them cheaper.
Also, will any treadle irons work or does it need to be Singer? There are some lovely decorative ones and I'm not attached to the Singer logo on the irons. The body needs a spit-shine at least, the innards will need more. Tonight's goal is just to get the case off and take pics if I don't demolish it (the bentwood, which is peeling pretty badly) in the process. Resume whacking with the mallet!