Good price for a Singer 301A?

Old 03-21-2012, 06:50 PM

I would offer less and negotiate. It is a fair price, but if it needs to go into the shop, you must figure that cost in.

Once you are face to face with him, you have the advantage. He wants it gone, and nobody else is at hand to compete with you. If you can give him cash on the spot and get the machine gone, he will be happy. Chance are he has no money invested in it, and anything he gets is profit to him.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Dayle
Old 03-21-2012, 06:55 PM

I forgot to mention -- I think the standard feet are similar to the ones for a Featherweight, except they are slant. You probably wouldn't use most of them, but if there are none with the machine, that is a great negotiating point. Same for the manual, even more so -- even people who know nothing about sewing machines can see that the manual is valuable. Bobbins are the same as the FW -- another negotiating point if there aren't very many. If it was used by a seamstress, there would be a zipper foot and buttonholer. Walking foot would be nice, but not likely to be present.

Dayle
Old 03-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I forgot to mention -- I think the standard feet are similar to the ones for a Featherweight, except they are slant. You probably wouldn't use most of them, but if there are none with the machine, that is a great negotiating point. Same for the manual, even more so -- even people who know nothing about sewing machines can see that the manual is valuable. Bobbins are the same as the FW -- another negotiating point if there aren't very many. If it was used by a seamstress, there would be a zipper foot and buttonholer. Walking foot would be nice, but not likely to be present.

Dayle
You are right it does take slant feet - these to not interchange. The feet can be bought on line. Bobbins can be bought on line and manuals are down loaded free.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:41 PM

It's a good price if it has the bobbin case. Any other things included would be nice but not necessary. I've never used any of the "attachments" that came with the 301 and I own 4 of them. Similarly, a manual is available free on the net and I don't consider that valuable. Most vintage Singer manuals are available for downloading(free). If someone offers me something at a decent price, I don't feel the need to insult them by offering a lot less. Bobbins are cheap like Miriam said and would not even be a consideration in my book. Good luck.

Last edited by Candace; 03-21-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:20 AM

$80 is something I would jump right on. I have just bought one just like it in a carrying case, not a beautiful cabinet like yours in is, and dividing 6 into $425 for it means I paid nearly that much for mine, and had to send my son 300 miles to pick it up. I love that cabinet--I have about 6 of them and am running out of space for placing them except out in my husband's shop waiting to be polished and cleaned up.

Jo Ann, I am really enjoying this morning's visit with you all......
Old 03-22-2012, 07:48 AM

I paid $75 for my black 301 in the cabinet. It has all the attachments and the instruction book. I would say it's a fair price.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 AM

I think that's a fair price. I have one just like it that was in bad shape when I got it. I cleaned, lubed, oiled and put in a new drip sheet and it works great. Then, I bought a black & did the same things - and I paid a little more.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:59 PM

Get it for sure! You will love the 301, it is my favorite machine, and I have a FW and a newly acquired 401. It is so smooth and dependable.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:49 PM

Default Wiring Repairs

I recently purchased a new foot controller and wiring kit from Sew Classic in Ohio and they were helpful in instructing me. There are also instructions on the internet showing exactly how to do it. Sorry I can't get them from here, but you can just put "Singer 301 wiring" and see what pops up. Please do visit the Sew Classic web site to see all the parts etc. The more we know, the better we can service our machines. We're all they have.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:51 AM

Go for it! You will love the 301 and it is so nice to sew in a cabinet-the flat surface from the machine to the cabinet is nice. I didn't realize how much I had missed when not sewing on the flat surface. Good luck. Lots of information on the net about the 301.