Got a bit of a plug problem

Old 05-13-2020, 04:10 PM

Default Got a bit of a plug problem

I got this Singer model 648 out of good will a few years ago and finally got a place to set it up. When I plugged in everything it still didn't work so I took a look at the plug between the step and the wall outlet and saw that 1 of the metal pegs appeared to be missing. I don't even know what to call this part if I were to describe it to somebody, and that's mostly what I'm looking for along with whether or not I could fix this or whether I'm just stuck with a brain- dead sewing machine.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:12 PM

I was hoping it would post the photos but it appears that it didn't.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-14-2020 at 03:06 AM. Reason: link is to own/ffiliated site
Old 05-13-2020, 05:40 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "plug between the step and the wall outlet". Photos would help.

First, I'm not sure that what I.am writing is not entirely true. However, it's not unusual for a plug not to use all the slots. You can probably find another plug at TandTrepair.com or Central Michigan Sewing supplies if you believe it's broken. If you do not have a manual, you can get one here. Just enter your machine number and download a free manual. it should give you lots of information about your machine.

Second, I would not invest any money to speak of, in a Touch and Sew, except a 600, 603 or some 626s. Those that came later have plastic gears. They shred when they get old. They are expensive to have replaced and difficult for the "shade tree mechanic" to do.

My 758 is still working, but it has always been stored in the house in air conditioning and has been used lightly, as I bought it new. I love the touch and sews, but several machines donated to me for my kids quilting class have disintegrated when used a few days. The kids love them, as they are easy to use and have a low speed. Still, they are not worth fixing unless you have a particular fondness for them or some sentimental attachment.
bkay
Old 05-13-2020, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "plug between the step and the wall outlet". Photos would help.

First, I'm not sure that what I.am writing is not entirely true. However, it's not unusual for a plug not to use all the slots. You can probably find another plug at TandTrepair.com or Central Michigan Sewing supplies if you believe it's broken. If you do not have a manual, you can get one here. Just enter your machine number and download a free manual. it should give you lots of information about your machine.

Second, I would not invest any money to speak of, in a Touch and Sew, except a 600, 603 or some 626s. Those that came later have plastic gears. They shred when they get old. They are expensive to have replaced and difficult for the "shade tree mechanic" to do.

My 758 is still working, but it has always been stored in the house in air conditioning and has been used lightly, as I bought it new. I love the touch and sews, but several machines donated to me for my kids quilting class have disintegrated when used a few days. The kids love them, as they are easy to use and have a low speed. Still, they are not worth fixing unless you have a particular fondness for them or some sentimental attachment.
bkay
thank you for the shop names

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-14-2020 at 03:07 AM. Reason: links deleted as not permitted since is affiliated/own site
Old 05-14-2020, 04:05 AM

I had a hard time seeing, but it did look like one of the, what I call, pins in the machine had gotten pushed in. Unfortunately, I can't help. I am fairly certain there are only three pins, but as bkay wrote "However, it's not unusual for a plug not to use all the slots." In other words, the plug (that goes into the machine) that the wires go to the wall outlet and foot controller has four holes. The machine only has three pins (pegs). As bkay mentioned tandtrepair is knowledgeable about the slant shank Singer machines. I noticed that he does have a service manual for the 640 series, but unsure if it would include the wiring schematic. https://store.tandtrepair.com/tosew600se.html There is a button at the top of that page "email us" that you could probably use to ask.

In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 05-14-2020, 04:45 AM

I met someone, through a purchase, who knows way more about sewing machines than I do. She knew I was a newbie to working on them and I guess she thought she would have some fun. She was cleaning out old machines and projects she knew she would never get to and gave me three Touch & Sews. I, naively, thought I would be able to get them up and running in no time and so eagerly took them. Only after she knew they were safely out of her workshop and in my garage did she refer to them as "Curse & Throws". Now they are in the trunk of my car, along with one I picked up on my own thinking I might be able to fix it, waiting to be recycled.

I know this doesn't add much to the thread but bkay suggesting not to invest any money to speak of in them is good advice, but a little late in my case!
Old 05-14-2020, 06:02 AM

I was at a thrift store and got into a discussion with another customer that had a T&S and said that she has one that she loves and would recommend it to anyone. She said she had a repairman that kept it going for her. As bkay indicated, there a few good ones out there. I've also read of those that have replaced the gears and are happy with them.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:43 AM

That's true, Janey. I love mine. I bought it new about 45 years ago. I still use it occasionally.

I still would not spend money on a touch and sew. The only thing it will do that an older slant machine (400s and 500s) won't do is chain stitch (not really sure about that, and I really don't use it) and a stretch stitch (only on machines that take the white cams, which I think is limited to the 700 series). That's why I keep my 778.

The 400s and 500s are cheap, well made and readily available. That's why I don't bother with the Touch and Sews anymore.

bkay