Got my Grandma's treadle!

Old 07-08-2013, 09:18 AM

[QUOTE=Tammi M;6164925]After a quick look at the Singer site, I think it may have been made in 1927. It is not a Red Eye, and unfortunately, it is very well used so some of the decals are worn off. Grandma used it to sew scraps to make rugs that she sold for many years. I need to learn how to post pictures so I can post some, and I will continue to search out info on my "new" machine. I don't think I have any pictures of Grandma using the machine. My biggest memory is sitting under the machine making the treadle move, which made Grandma nervous that I would mess something up on it![/QUOTE

What you might do is get a small photo album, I get the $1.00 ones (the ones that hold 36 pictures, and you can make it 40 by putting them in the front and back covers) at Walmart near the greeting cards and put a picture of your grandmother, the machine, maybe a picture of your mother since she sewed on it, and of course yourself in it. You can write notes about the machine and put them in the photo areas too.
I made a memory book to go with the first quilt I made for my son. I took pictures of the different stages, wrote the goofs, etc. and printed it on my computer in a size that a page would fit in the photo slots. It made a neat book.
I plan to make one for my 1922 Singer 66 Red Eye that was a one owner before I got it. I was lucky to get a picture of the former owner to go with it. I will write a story of what I know about it, and the date that I got it.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Power Poster

What a fun treasure for you!
Old 07-09-2013, 10:09 AM

Don't you just love it, I have my gramma's Singer treadle too. I plan to do the new belt, oiling, fixing and cleaning up process, and then send it to my neice in Phoenix cuz she loves it so, and we want to keep it in the family. I have two other treadles that I'm already emotionally attached to, and will only have room to keep one when we retire and downsize.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:00 PM

I called Singer at 1-800-474-6437 and spoke with someone in Consumer Affairs department. I gave them the Serial Number on my great grandmother's Model #66 treadle machine that I inherited and within minutes the kind rep told me it was made on August 27, 1913 in Elizabeth, NJ along with the Factory name being 'Elizabethport'. Congratulations!