Greist sewing attachments

Old 06-11-2014, 08:57 AM

Macybaby is pretty awesome in her knowledge. I personally think it would be great if she wrote a book on attachments--like after she retires and has her collection complete (as if that could ever happen!).

Somewhere I do have a backclamp buttonholer and ruffler(s?) that came in a box with other stuff. They're much older than the machines that interest me and I don't have anything it would fit, but it would be good to identify. I don't think it's really that old, though.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
... SteveH, I'm still waiting to get the specs on the Florence from you.
Sorry, I don't have a Florence. I think you meant my White Model A, which I should just get off my butt and do that tonight.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:02 AM

Ok - I think it was your WEED I was thinking about . . . isn't that the one you got recently that didn't have a foot on it?

Though I've got a Weed now, so I should measure that one up and see if it feet.

Though I would be interested in the White - to see if the older ones were the same as the later ones. So far all the White machines I've got (no side clamps yet) take the same feet, with or without using the top clamp adaptor.

Napajohn, if you have a top clamp buttonholer (Back clamp is like the first Singer 66's - and if you really did have one of those, that would be something very unique!). Then it's most likley going to fit National or Free/New Home. So far all the White/Domestic type I have are designed to remove the top clamp adaptor and attach them directly to the presser bar. BTW- Wards ones are the same as National

These two are really easy to tell apart as the Free/New Home has a 1/4" gap and the National has a 3/8" gap.

The first shows the typical attachment type for White made machines, the middle if Free made machines (includes later New Home) and National made machines. And then there is the side clamp for the Singer style attachments.

I'm also working on a set of Famous buttonholers, but so far my favorite is this one ACME for early Domestic machines.

I figure if I post this stuff often enough, others will get it memorized and then I won't have to write a book
Old 06-11-2014, 10:15 AM

Here is something neat I just found. This is the bottom of a Greist box - showing the styles of buttonholers made at the time. It does show the style for early White using a top clamp and not a bar clamp.

Last edited by Macybaby; 06-11-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:28 PM

Or a web page or web book with occasional updates. There used to be a Webshots page with the critical dimensions of the Top Clamp attachments before Webshots "sold out". A needles and bobbins page would be pretty cool also. Sign me up

Jon

Originally Posted by NapaJohn View Post
Macybaby is pretty awesome in her knowledge. I personally think it would be great if she wrote a book on attachments--like after she retires and has her collection complete (as if that could ever happen!).

Somewhere I do have a backclamp buttonholer and ruffler(s?) that came in a box with other stuff. They're much older than the machines that interest me and I don't have anything it would fit, but it would be good to identify. I don't think it's really that old, though.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:01 PM

So, I love this topic. I love it. I've made a whole three quilts now, all crooked and with various issues of why they are issue-y. I'm fine with it. I'll learn and perfect the process as I keep on quilting.

But, I love this because I have decided to start using my grandmother's Kenmore 117-959. It's in very good shape, being kept inside, although unused since I've had it in my possession. Prior to that, my mother had it. Other than a frozen presser bar (fixed) and a motor pulley wheel that someone rigged with a bobbin tire (fixing it - part ordered), I am ready to start banging out straight and great 1/4 inch seams. Yes, I am about to master straight and appropriately sized seams.

I ran into one issue. I could only find the zipper foot (and the button-holer, but I'm obviously not so silly as to think that could be useful for straight and great 1/4 inch seams). Being savvy, I hopped on ebay and found feet, lots and lots of feet. I figured out that I needed top clamp type, but who knew the whole clamp size gap difference thing?

I am attaching three pictures. Two are of the same type of Greist binder: the one on the right fits and the one on the left doesn't fit. I note the one on the left has an F on the back of it. Anyway, it makes me wonder if the top clamp of a Kenmore of a different year perhaps is not sized differently in the area where the attachment would slip on? Meaning that perhaps a different top clamp that fit the 117-959 could give use to the entirely extra set of stuff I have. Perhaps not and I need to rehome them. If so, I have a bunch of stuff - the Greist set in that odd size, the button holer in that odd size, a zig-zagger in that odd size and a circle sewing contraption.

For my second question, which is probably more like the 15th, what is this thing in the third picture? I believe it is a Greist Double-Edge Seam Cloth Cutting Guide, or at least that is what is used to describe it on ebay. If it is a seam guide, how does it attach? I understand the screw part, but it doesn't seem to fit nicely on the machine.

My apologies in advance for being immediately wordy and somewhat obnoxious right out of the gate with my very first post, but I am unfortunately overly wordy and truly obnoxious.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]488860[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]488861[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]488863[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails greist-attachment-binder-front1.jpg   greist-attachment-binder-back1.jpg   greist-thing1.jpg  
Old 08-23-2014, 09:57 PM

SiouxsieQ,

Welcome to the Board! I think you'll enjoy this!

Jeanette
Old 01-23-2019, 02:01 PM

Default Early Greist top attachmen

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Or a web page or web book with occasional updates. There used to be a Webshots page with the critical dimensions of the Top Clamp attachments before Webshots "sold out". A needles and bobbins page would be pretty cool also. Sign me up

Jon
I realize this is an old thread but I have a Free National treadle machine with top screw-on attachments. It's also a vibrating shuttle. From what I've understood about this machine, the company went out of business in about 1900. Who know? I'm tired of looking for info and I might just post it on Craigslist to sell it.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:23 PM

Free went out of business around 1940, National is a totally different company, but they also were is business long after 1900.

now there is a New National that was made by New Home before they got bought by Free.

All three companys had top clamp feet, but all three used a slightly different set. They also took different shuttles and different needles.

A picture would be real helpful to determine the Mfg of your machine. Most companies (other than Singer) sold machines under a host of different names.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:38 PM

Ok I replying here because my one treadle machine came with a lot of attachments. Hemmers of every size. Thought I scored a walking foot. Some look like the will fit the 15-91 some I have no idea but certainly not for my model 27.