Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Grumble, grumble, grumble .... argh! >

Grumble, grumble, grumble .... argh!

Grumble, grumble, grumble .... argh!

Old 04-16-2014, 01:16 PM

Default Grumble, grumble, grumble .... argh!

I sat down at my 9W-7 after spending some time cutting out some squares, opened the cabinet leaf, pulled up the head, then went to run the belt up on the pulleys ......... the darn thing broke, again. Now it really is too short to cut again. Nuts.

But the good news is I caught my wife in time for her to pick me up a new belt at the LSMG place.

So in a little while I'll be treadling my little feet off

OBTW, that's a lesson for those of us that have to store our treadles out in the garage. The weather may or may not harm the wood or metal, but it sure dries out the leather belts. I need a better set up.

Joe
Old 04-16-2014, 01:46 PM

tried vinyl tubing? oh you meant storage... If only...
Old 04-16-2014, 01:52 PM

Jim,

I haven't had the best luck with vinal tubing. It just keeps on stretching. I've got some green O2 tube from an oxygen concentrator, but I can't use it yet. The concentrator is still set up to run. Once it's gone I'll have the tube to try.

Yes, storage. The garage didn't hurt the wood or metal, but it dried the leather belt out to the point it won't hold the staple any more.

Joe
Old 04-16-2014, 02:14 PM

Joe, I’m not trying to be rude here, but if storing your leather treadle belt in the garage did it in, it may not have been very good to begin with. I recall the days on the ranch where all of the saddles, bridles, harnesses, tugs, and associated leather items were stored in the barn, and they didn’t seem to fall apart quickly. Then also, I spent 38 years using leather pole climbing equipment that was stored in an unheated truck, and was subjected to the worst weather imaginable (while I had them strapped on) and the leather is still good even today.

I just can’t see how not having your treadle belt in the house with you caused it to disintegrate. Of course, I’m from the “doesn’t need a controlled climate” for all of my machines and their belts (and for several years - me).

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-16-2014, 03:21 PM

CD,

You could be right. I don't remember where I got the belt, or when. The only thing I remember is that I put it on the treadle just over 18 months ago when I finished it. And it was only used on that treadle a couple times last year. It could have been dry to start, or used, I'm not sure.

All I know for sure is that several days ago when I got the treadle in the house the belt broke. I cut it a 1/4" and redid it.
Today it broke again. I doubt it can be shortened again.

Joe
Old 04-16-2014, 03:46 PM
Banned

Joe,

I have found that you can wet and stretch these a bit. Measure it, wet it, stretch it, let it dry, recheck the length.

I did this and was able to use the same hole...
Old 04-16-2014, 05:01 PM

do any of you oil your belts occasionally? I know I did that all the time to keep my horse tack supple. Most certainly don't want a rein or cinch strap to break on you while out riding!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:15 PM

Joe, this is exactly why I keep the machines I use in climate controlled areas. The rubber bobbin winders crumble or crack and belts disintegrate. I don't use leather belts, but any rubbery type lug belts are not happy. It adds up when you have to replace all these items when they melt(bobbin tires) or when the heat and cold crack or weaken belts. I imagine the hot/cold contracting the nylon gears in many machines can cause problems down the road as well. Alligatoring of the shellac is another biggie...
Old 04-16-2014, 05:48 PM

Joe...after this past winter...I vote for a bubble over my house and yard/garage. I know you have had the same yucky stuff.
I would suggest that you buy a roll of the leather belts and cut them as needed. I know that you can get the roll from one of the industrial places. Just don't forget to order the staples, too.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:40 PM

I would keep all my machines in the house if I had room. I just don't. This place is not big enough.

I've never put oil or any other leather conditioner on treadle belts. Might be an idea to try.

I got a new belt, well my wife did, tonight and will get it put on tomorrow. The price has gone up at the LSMG shop. It's now $12.99 + tx. Last one I bought was around $7.00 or so. I'll have to lay in either a roll like Tink's Mom said, ( if I knew where to find it ) or get some from Sew-Classic next time I order. Theirs is cheaper.

The new belt is an Alpha-Sew product and much nicer than the old belt. Bigger diameter, smoother leather (the old one is scaly like a fish), and more supple.
I think it will work better too.

Joe