Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Happy dance!!!!  Look What They Found!!!! >

Happy dance!!!! Look What They Found!!!!

Happy dance!!!! Look What They Found!!!!

Old 05-05-2014, 07:43 AM

Cathy,

I'm thrilled for you and a wee bit jealous at the same time. I hope that machine cleans up and works like you want it too.

A bit jealous because my mom's last machine, a Kenmore in a cabinet it stuck in an outdoor shed in AZ and I can't get it. Been there now since '01. I suspect the termites, spiders, and mice will have destroyed it. That is if the shed doesn't leak.

Anyway, enough boo hooo'ing. Please do post more pics when you get the machine all spiffied up and running.

Joe
Old 05-05-2014, 10:24 AM

I wish I had got interested in the sewing machine before my Mom got to the point she couldn't answer questions. I know there was a zigzag machine when I was in high school, but I don't remember that one. What I do remember is sewing up a shirt for my boyfriend when I was 16. My Grandmother was going to do the buttonholes for me, and she re set the cuffs and collar as she decided I didn't do a good enough job on them LOL!!

Based on the estimate of the age, this White may actually be older than the 201 was. So I'm really wondering what machine Mom had that I sewed on as a teen. My mom would have been married about 30 years by then, so I expect this was one of her earlier machines. Who knows - it may have been tucked into the attic for the last 60 years. I'll have to ask my oldest Sister if she remembers this machine.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:55 AM

I think it’s really neat that you’ve found your Mother’s old machine. I have the only two sewing machines that my maternal Grandmother ever owned; the 1906 White VSIII treadle that was given to her used as a wedding present in 1928, and her Singer 404, case, and folding table that she bought new in 1959 or 60.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 05-05-2014, 11:06 AM

So excited for you. I understand the feeling of finding a piece of family history. I have my Grandmothers 66 that she got the year my mother was born - 1928. She wanted to sew dresses for her little girl and my Grandfather bought it for her. Unfortunately she was widowed 3 years later. Even having to work to raise 2 kids during the depression, that was the only thing she didn't sell. Eventually she gave it to my Mom when she had kids - probably in the late 40s. Then about 1960, when I was born, she went and bought a 401, and put it in the same cabinet. She told me she didn't know what happened to the original "Black Singer" machine.

Then I was at my cousin's house a couple of years ago. I asked to see the Featherweight she inherited from her Mother. Her husband mentioned the "other 3 machines in the garage" and my cousin said she had Grandma's machine too, did I want it? I figured out that when my Mom bought the 401, the shop put the 66 in a case (it's a 50s maroon-and-grasscloth case) and she gave it back to my Grandma. I don't think my Grandma ever used it again but it was stored with her stuff that my Uncle kept after she died. Then my Uncle died and my cousin cleaned out his place. It's rusty, frozen, and had no manual or attachments (I've since replaced them), but it's history is with this family. Since the 401 and cabinet are promised to me, one day it will go back into the original cabinet. I even found one of the rare 3-drawer Singer side cabinet to match the #40 cabinet (I'll have to refinish them together as they are both in bad shape), But yeah, Grandma's machine.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:35 AM

That's exciting! See? She knew right where it was the whole time.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:41 PM

Very excited for you since I also know the feeling. Look forward to future pics.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:49 PM

great find great memories
Old 05-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

How cool is that! Wonderful....look forward to seeing the quilts you make with this family treasure.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:11 AM

Wow what a special find for you.....enjoy it. Happy quilting