Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Have you ever seen or heard of a Cottage machine? >

Have you ever seen or heard of a Cottage machine?

Have you ever seen or heard of a Cottage machine?

Old 07-28-2014, 03:59 AM

Default Have you ever seen or heard of a Cottage machine?

A friend called to say her brother has this machine I can get before he sends it to auction. Have you ever seen a Cottage machine before. I can find New Cottage but nothing other than a stand on Ebay of the Cottage one. I have searched and cannot find anything on this. I do not have the machine yet but will get it and I do not have a serial#.
Thanks for any help.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]485298[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]485299[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]485297[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscn1941resize.jpg   dscn1938resize.jpg   dscn1939resize.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 04:41 AM

It has an interesting tension release on it. I don't recall seeing one like that before.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 07-28-2014, 06:15 AM

Cool looking machine. Are you getting a treadle base with it? I don't know a thing about them but that "cross" logo on the pillar looks familiar. Hopefully someone else with have more information.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:43 AM

The cast iron treadle itself comes with it, looks like they made a table out of it so I don't know if there is the original wood base for the sewing machine to sit in. That's why I was trying to find more information on it. I can't find anything except a cast iron stand on Ebay. I don't think the wood top belongs to the stand here. Thanks for looking and posting here.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:44 AM

umm- would you be willing to sell just the machine and ship it to SD?

I believe it's an early Eldredge (pre National) "Cottage" is just a badged name put on it.

I'd need to have you measure the length of the shuttle to be sure, this early machine takes a different size shuttle than the later ones, and I've been searching for one of that age for some time.

If it take the shorter shuttle, than it's the last machine I'm searching for to complete my set of one each that takes the Boye shuttles - which also means that it takes a very uncommon shuttle.

It's that funny half round/half square needle plate that makes me think it's an early Eldredge. National also produced machines using the "Cottage" badged name too
Old 07-28-2014, 07:58 AM

Ok- this may not be what I thought - but instead something I found while looking for the Eldredge machine.

THIS is what I remembered seeing,
http://needlebar.org/cm/displayimage..._display_media

Though I do know National did make a machine badged "Cottage"

Now, to go look a bit more and see if I can figure out needle and shuttle size . . .
Old 07-28-2014, 08:05 AM

THIS is the one I was remembering (2nd picture) - makes one scratch there head and wonder who made what at that time LOL!! So many of the smaller companies came and went and had the same people involved. Your machine has elements of both - though with the rectagular bed.

http://web.bryant.edu/~ehu/h364proj/sprg_99/cox/sew_mach.htm

Last edited by Macybaby; 07-28-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:15 AM

BTW- Eldredge was also in Chicago at this time - there is little info on what happened to Chicago Sewing Machine Co, and around the time they disappeared was when Eldredge and some others got together and formed National . . .

Sort of like when Singer took over Wheeler Wilson and continued to sell the W9 under a new name, but it's basically still a WW machine, and very different than the Singers of the same age.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:05 AM

[QUOTE=Macybaby;6821022]THIS is the one I was remembering (2nd picture) - makes one scratch there head and wonder who made what at that time LOL!! So many of the smaller companies came and went and had the same people involved. Your machine has elements of both - though with the rectangular bed.

That does look alot like it. I didn't know any of the information you supplied. Thank you and I don't even have possession of the machine yet, sorry, I cannot measure anything. I haven't even seen it in person. A dear friend called and said she can get it for me. If I decide to let it go I'll let you know. Thanks again for the info.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:38 PM

It will be neat to see what the underside looks like. I get excited when someone uncovers one of the much less common machines.