heading home today.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:26 AM

Default heading home today.

I feel like i have been living in a different world for several days. Today we head home. My son brought up the 19 30 'era 99 aand cabinet we didn’t have room in the car for last fall. That is the only machine, but I have a lot of partially done quilts and older ones in need a repair.

DH and I will be making another trip in a month to get the kitchen cupboards and old doors for my sewing machine shed. Best part all 10 siblings are still talking!

I got a neat old woodworking bench top that will go in my sewing machine/cabinet refinishing work room.

dealt with a major snowstorm too.

But it's warming up so we should be able to get started on the building soon. Good thing because I have a truckload of things now that I need to find room for. And there may be another sewing machine waiting for me at the post office tomoorow!
Old 04-06-2014, 04:04 AM

Your life is a rollercoaster. Keep us posted on your building project great sewing machine adventures.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:24 AM

I like the idea of a sewing machine shed. Share any brilliant thoughts on that. Mine seem to be taking over the house!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:44 AM

Sorry you're going through all that. I am happy all of you are still talking. Having to divide an estate has torn more than one family to pieces. I hope things settle down for you soon.
Rodney
Old 04-06-2014, 03:39 PM

Cathy,

As Rodney said, I too am sorry you're having to go through that situation. Been there, done that, and it's heartbreaking. God be with you!

Jeanette
Old 04-06-2014, 04:37 PM

So sorry macybaby, did I miss something? I'm not always very savvy on picking up social cues. My deepest sympathies if you are dealing with distributions of a loved one. definitely been there done that!
Old 04-06-2014, 05:49 PM

I sort of posted about this in between other posts - my Mother passed away a few weeks ago, and last Friday was the memorial service, and then family was getting together Saturday to start "cleaning house". It actually went very well, and it turned out that there was very little that more than one person really wanted.

it's not really an appropriate subject for this vintage machine board, or at least not in the main forum. Maybe in the sticky at the top, but I rarely post there.

However some of the items I've obtained or will be getting later are going in my sewing "museum" building, so that IS vintage machine related! I decided "museum" sounded better than "shed" as it will be a building that could be used to live in, except that it won't have indoor plumbing. So not at all what most people think of when you say "shed".
Old 04-06-2014, 06:02 PM

Think "Quilting Retreat".
Rodney
Old 04-07-2014, 07:44 AM

Adding to Rodney's comment: And make it big enough to offer your QB friends a stop-in to see what all you have collected on all your travels. I would do that in a road trip, and make sure you include the name of the nearest Hampton Inn, so you won't have to put us up overnight. We have a GS stationed at Minot in ND, so that would really give us a good reason to come your way.

Last edited by oldtnquiltinglady; 04-07-2014 at 07:45 AM. Reason: misspelled Hampton Inn
Old 04-07-2014, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Think "Quilting Retreat".
Rodney
I love that! my own "Quilting Retreat". I'll have to get a sign with that on it for the door LOL!!

I've been going through what I brought home - got the old books put on the shelf with those my Dad gave me 4 years ago. We found more in a bottom drawer in a storage room, and I think they had been there 25 years and Mom and Dad had forgotten they were there - or I'd have taken them back then too.

And then the quilting stuff - a few old quilts in need of TLC and one quilt top from my Grandmother that my Mother would have taken when Granny died back in the early 90's. Then several boxes of ones my Mother started for family that never got done. I'll put pictures of this on the Picture forum later today.

And waiting for my at the PO was my sweet little Green GE Sewhandy. Thanks SteveH for letting this one come live with me.

And I think the boxes are just the right size to pack up the Davis VF lowarm to send back. The cabinet and base will come in a separate box. Seems there is some packing that's made a round trip too - and now will be heading back. Feels like tag - White from CA to SD, then the Polytype from SD(MN) To CA, then the Sewhandy from CA to SD, and soon the Davis from SD to CA. Good thing we are after different vintages of machines.

THere is one more thing I want to share. This will get cleaned up and go in my Cabinet Workroom in the Quilting Retreat. I have no idea where my Dad got this, DH thinks it would have been made in the 40's. It's a very common style woodworker's bench, and one many woodworkers would have made for themselves, so there is nothing real unique about it - other than my Dad used it for a short while after he retired - he decided he didn't like woodworking all that much after all, and went on to other interests.

I only took the top as the base was something my Dad cobbled together with scrap lumber, and DH is going to build me something more suitable.

Later this month or early May we'll make another trip and take out the old pine doors from upstairs and the old upper cabinets in the kitchen, and they will also go in my new building. Not sure where though. We won't take those until the house is empty and has been cleaned out better. The property will be cleared once we have turned it over, and the new owner said we can salvage what ever we want before we turn it over - less for him to deal with and no liability to him if we do it now either.