Help with 15-91

Old 05-07-2016, 10:37 AM

Default Help with 15-91

I have a "new" 15-91 I want to set up for FMQ. Stitches looked good, but when I try to quilt, the machine skips stitches. It will skip on straight and curved lines. It sometimes won't pick up the bobbin thread (which would cause the skipped stitches ). I cleaned and oiled it and put in a new needle. Double checked my threading and bobbin and position of the needle. Still having problems. The man I bought it from was using it to sew leather, I'm wondering if the tension is skrewed up. The stitches look good (except for the skipped ones!) so I thought the tension was OK, but I'm not sure what else to try'. I'm fairly new to fixing up machines and quilting, so I'm hoping all you experts will have some suggestions.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:27 PM

Congratulations, it's a favorite model among free motion quilters. I'm having much the same issues with my machine right now. A couple of months a go it was all set up to free motion perfectly, but since I have sewn all kinds of projects, different thread weights and bobbin tension needs adjustment. You are correct, tenion has to be just right for FMQ. I see some recommend needle size 90 to 100 for FM. Some thing is up with my machine or thread, because I need to have tension way up, like 8, or I tend to get lots of loops under. I am also practising even movements of my hands as well as a steady speed.

For top tension I think the quick test is; turn the dial from about 0 to 9 (or even 0 to 0), it should turn fine with out any fuzz. Next step is to thread it up and check that tension gradually increase from 0 to 9 by pulling on the thread, obviously light on 0 and tight on 9. Thread should release when presser bar lever is up, and tighten when down (make sure needle bar is not in release position when testing).

Bobbin tension can be a bit of a fuzz but a general recommendation is to set the spring to hold 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 oz (this is my referance page). I can't remember for sure but I think Tammi here on QB recommended 1 oz, either way it leaves room for fine tuning and it has to be reset for different thread weights. I guess someone sewing leather use a duty thread, while quilting is often a nice cotton. Some threads are better than others, but I have practised with a bargain priced mercerized cotton thread and the result is nice. I've had more problems with sew-it-all weight polyester thread, though it might just be about getting tension right.

Last edited by Mickey2; 05-07-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:50 PM
KLO

Mickey2, Thanks for thoroughly answering nqgrandma's question. I think I need to print out your response and keep it with my machine. Great information. Many thanks for taking the time to type all that out. I have not FMQ with my 15-91 yet but hope to once I find a spot where I can open up the cabinet and use it.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:08 AM

What weight thread are you using? The needle size is determined by the thread weight. I also have a 15-91 I keep set up for FMQing. It rarely skips stitches, but when it does I usually have the wrong size needle for the thread I am using. It usually likes any type of thread except the "slick" threads that were made for machine embroidery. The machine skips stitches with that type thread, also. When I use my trusted Superior King Tut or Sew Fine #50 (or#40) and the correct needle, she is a joy to FMQ with! Good luck diagnosing your problem, let us know what you discover.

Last edited by lovelyl; 05-08-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:49 AM

I am wondering if the pressure knob needs adjusting. If he was sewing leather he probably had the pressure knob turned up high because of the thickness of the leather. I would try to screw down the pressure just a tad, then sew on the same material that you will be using and if need be continue to lower the pressure a bit. that may work, I really don't know but it is worth a try. I keep my 15-91 set up for FMQ all the time and I just use another machine for piecing and STID quilting.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:14 AM

I went through this with my 15-89. I took the bobbin holder completely apart (yes, removed the little screw) and cleaned it thoroughly. I also took the upper tensioner completely apart and cleaned it thoroughly. I know my Mom kept the machine clean when she was using it regularly, but I found lint in the upper tensioner that looked like it had been there for 75 years (age of machine). Be sure to keep track of all the little parts and the order they go back together. After the thorough cleaning everything works wonderfully and I no longer have skipped stitches.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:50 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I took the bobbin assembly apart enough to be able to check it thouroughly. Cleaned out some dirt and put a little oil on the moving parts. Then I loosened the tension just a bit. Then I took the upper tension apart and cleaned it. I also replaced the screw holding the faceplate on. It was a large screw and the thread was getting wrapped around it. I'm not sure which fix worked, but it is no longer skipping stitches and purrs away like a kitten.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:01 AM

Yay! I was typing a nice, detail response while reading the thread, but now that I see it's all cleared up I'll just cheer for you!

Woot woot! Oh yeah!
Old 05-11-2016, 03:44 AM

I have a 15-125 I'm planning to set up for FMQ. I'm saving Mickey2's response too! So glad this question was posted! ��