Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help with Elna SU 62C - Pulls when Stitching? >

Help with Elna SU 62C - Pulls when Stitching?

Help with Elna SU 62C - Pulls when Stitching?

Old 08-19-2020, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gymnast2 View Post
If this statement is correct, this cannot be anything about a thread making holes in the paper - am I right?
Makes sense to me, but I would still test it as Lady Diana suggests, could be something as simple as a burr on the needle plate tearing the paper.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
Before worrying about timing, he the following.
First, get two pieces of fabric. ..not paper
Check your bobbin, so the thread coming off of the bobbin in the correct direction for your machine.
Next, Chek your threading of top thread. Be sure to do this with the foot up
Check the thread tension according to the normal setting for your machine...
Replace the needle with a new one. A 90/14 topstith works well.
put your fabric pieces under the foot, lower foot, hold on to your needle thread and hand turn for the needle to go down and pull your bobbin thread up to the top and pull to the back.
sew your test. Hopefully everything will be perfect. Best wishes.
​​​
Right on. Follow these instructions for the Elna 62C. It is a magnificent machine. Really magnificent. Totally purrs with amazing straight stitch. Use two pieces of material and follow these instruction. I look forward to hearing.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:49 PM

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your advice! I thought I had posted reply but it looks like I didn't do it properly....so trying again.

Lady Diana - I was very lucky to get the machine with both original manuals so I followed the threading/tension instructions to a T. Sadly the stitches were still pulling and that's when I tried on paper to try to eliminate the thread and tension possibilities.

Gymnast2 - If I understand your diagram correctly, I think my machine was doing the opposite...when I looked very closely, I saw that the feed dog was at its highest just as the needle was clearing the plate.

Since Janey had kindly provided me with links to 62C service manuals, I found instructions to adjust the feed dog timing and decided to gave it a go. Several long hours later with a lot of nervous perspiration and unlady-like language , success! The machine sews beautifully now and the special cam stitches are coming out as they should (love the ducky stitch).

In hindsight, it was a very simple adjustment once I found the right tools, but because this was a 'bigger' adjustment I've ever made and I didn't want to do more damage to the machine, it was a bit nerve-racking, lol.

I think I'll still take it in to a pro for a full servicing so that I can experience the 62C in all its vintage glory. Thank you all for helping out this newbie!
Old 08-25-2020, 06:16 PM

Congratulations, good for you to tackle it and get it going again. Thanks for getting back and letting us know that you got it back to making the correct stitches. I've heard a lot of good things about your machine.

Now you can sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.