Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help with info about an antique >

Help with info about an antique

Help with info about an antique

Old 07-01-2015, 07:51 AM

Default Help with info about an antique

I stumbled upon this site when researching an antique sewing machine that I have. From what I have gathered it is a National SM Co. two spool almost identical to the one found in this thread

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t234132.html

I have pictures of it if can figure out how to post them, but mine looks to be in better condition than the one in the previous thread.

Any information on what exactly I have would be greatly appreciated, and I have always found boards like this to be the best place to get honest opinions.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-01-2015, 09:53 AM

I'm confused, sounds like you already identified exactly what you have - A National Two Spool - so what other information are you looking for.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:07 AM

I don't know anything other than the name. Is this considered a good machine? What would it be worth? What parts should I make sure are there?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:44 AM

The spool can is the biggest concern, a very badly worn one may not work properly. Also the thread tension assembly is occasionally missing or worn out, so check for that.

The spool plate is sometimes missing (unless it's the attached kind that swings out) but it's fairly easy to make a reproduction if you're handy with simple metal working. For some reason mine was missing her spool pin up top, and modern press-in spool pins are much smaller and don't fit, but again reproductions are fairly easy to make.

Wooden spools that fit the spool can are easy to find. Just make sure they aren't bigger than 1" across and 1 1/8" tall with a hole at least 1/4" wide, or they might not fit.

Two Spools, at least the one I have, where designed in such a way that it's difficult to remove most of the mechanics without having to re-set the timing or breaking them. Whether this was on purpose to get people to take them into shops for repairs or just incidental to the design I don't know. It does mean that most Two Spools rarely have anything missing but the spool can. Good for us!
Old 07-01-2015, 11:53 AM

So are these fairly common or rare? Any idea on how much it would be worth?
Old 07-01-2015, 12:27 PM

Well, I wouldn't say they're rare, but they don't show up much because most of the people who have them want to keep them, quilters especially. Value is based mostly on condition. There's a thread recently here about finding what a machine is worth.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:07 AM

They are a novelty that is in decent demand, and appears to be gaining popularity. I believe there are three versions, and early ones can sell quite high ($400+) when in good shape. If you don't have the lower spool holder (case) they can sell for as much as the machine - IF you find one.

I've paid $150 for the first and more recently $200 for an older one, both in treadle cabinets that I could pick up myself. I've seen heads sell for quite a bit more on eBay, and ones in cases (with motors) in nice shape can go even higher - if a collector is in the market. But then you have to have exactly what they are looking for, and not something that only "looks like" the rarer ones.