Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help with Kenmore 158 tension assembly >

Help with Kenmore 158 tension assembly

Help with Kenmore 158 tension assembly

Old 12-28-2014, 02:43 PM

Default Help with Kenmore 158 tension assembly

I have a Kenmore 158.1703, and I've been having some awful tension issues with it. I adjusted the bobbin case which corrected the skipped stitches and now the machine will finally sew. However, while the bottom stitching on the fabric is flawless, the bottom threads are always showing in the stop stitches. The only way I can minimize it is by setting the tension to 1. That doesn't seem right to me. I double checked the timing to make sure that wasn't the cause of the tension balance issue...timing is good. I fiddled with the case and regular tension for literally hours yesterday, I just cannot achieve balance. Today I decided to take off the tension assembly as I noticed that the look of it differed from what I can see in the instruction manual. So far, so good, but I cannot separate the spring from this metal case thing. I apologize, I do not know what these parts are called. Here is a picture. Is it necessary to look inside here, or should I leave it alone? I have removed the screw and pin, and these parts are still stuck (see pic below). Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I cannot separate this metal case thing from the spring thats around this metal screw thingy. (sorry for the technical terms.)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503979[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3581.jpg  
Old 12-28-2014, 02:48 PM

Whatever you do, don't fiddle with that stud. I broke mine on a nelco Machine. Take it easy on it. I can't help you on the spring. Someone will be along to help you.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:50 PM

Ok. I'll be sure to be careful, and will leave the stud alone. Thank you for letting me know, Barny.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:21 PM

Without having it in my hand I'm gonna take a leap here. Either the split stud screws into the tension body, or there is a small set screw in the body holding the stud.

That's all I can say for now.

Joe
Old 12-28-2014, 05:27 PM

Joe, there was a small set screw in the body...but I had it removed. It was just a stubborn little bugger. I ended up just putting it back together. I didn't want to break anything out of frustration.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:37 PM

Rach,

That was probably the screw that holds the stud in. Those studs can get stuck by age and dried up oil. So give it a good soak in denatured alcohol then gently work it.

I don't know what kind of rotating knob that tension has, but if you put the knob back on the stud you can then stick a screw driver through the gap under the know and gently try to turn it.

Joe