Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help with my Elna sewing diagonally >

Help with my Elna sewing diagonally

Help with my Elna sewing diagonally

Old 11-27-2014, 10:56 AM

Default Help with my Elna sewing diagonally

Hello all I am the proud new owner of an Elna Carina air electronic which I fell in love with. It even came with a cabinet and a fancy little button you push that electronically lifts the machine out. It seemed in perfect condition and I began sewing which it did perfectly. Haven't had it more than two weeks. It started making a bit of a clunking noise and now sews diagonally (if it sews) the hand wheel is a bit stiff to turn, and the liftmatic button does not work. I can get it to sew if its at the fastest speed but not at the slow speed. I would love any advice as the only sewing machine I ever owned was a Kenmore my husband bought me in about 1993. I oiled it and managed to pull out some threads stuck around the bobbin area. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:23 PM

Look for more stuck threads. Also, if it were me, I would plan to clean the insides to get rid of the old gunked up oil and then re-oil with fresh. First though look for threads since it was sewing fine before.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:44 PM

It kinda sounds like a cracked gear to me.... I hope I'm wrong. Can you open the top of the machine? If it's affecting the needle bar, I think, top worm gear. However, I don't even know what the gear system is in that thing. Since you only got one response, I thought I'd throw that out there.

If you've pulled the bobbin area apart and cleaned it, and put it back together, and it's still not sewing, I'd check the top gear system.

Good Luck!
Old 11-29-2014, 08:35 AM

I sure hope you don't have to take it to an Elna repair person. Take a pocket full of money with you. I love the Elna to the moon and back, but I am a very particular and careful sewer. When you buy one from someone who doesn't know much about what she is using, you will run into problems like that. I have a Carina that I bought from someone who didn't even have the sense to bring along the air and foot controls--and they COST A LOT when you go about trying to find them to replace. I am not sure I would even attempt what someone has suggested to you about the gear mechanism.

Maybe someone who is familiar with Elna can work you through it. Best of luck.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Get your manual out and see if it has a trouble shooting section. Go to some videos if you have to. Do a thorough cleaning. By doing a thorough cleaning you just might find the problem. Not only oil it may need lubricating. Maybe one of the collectors will be able to help also. I would do a thorough cleaning as first step.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:02 PM

Thank you all so much for the tips. I took apart and cleaned the bobbin, I looked inside the top and it all looks great, no old oil goo. Matter of fact it all looks so pristine as if it were barely used. I think I'm going to have to take it in with the pocket of cash and cross my fingers that it's nothing too complicated. Oh well what do you do?