Help! Pfaff 130 has no power

Old 02-01-2015, 12:15 PM

Default Help! Pfaff 130 has no power

I am just sick this afternoon. In the middle of sewing my 8,000th fleece Linus blanket, my Pfaff 130 simply stopped sewing. The light still works, but pressing the knee pedal results in absolutely nothing. We have unplugged and cleaned off the connection to the machine base and also the cord to the pedal.

The only warning to this happening is that a few weeks ago I detected a whining sound while sewing, particularly at higher speeds. This has gone on intermittently until the last few days, when it has seemingly gone away or diminished significantly. Also 10 seconds before I lost power today, I thought I could smell a faint slightly off-smelling odor. It was not a burning or melting odor, just something a little odd.

I would appreciate any input from you. Thanks!

Dayle
Old 02-01-2015, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

If you have a foot pedal or start/stop button, try those to see if it is maybe just the knee connection that is not working.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:35 PM

When I press the knee pedal, nothing happens. How can I tell if it is just the knee pedal that is the problem?
Old 02-01-2015, 04:36 PM

Have you checked the brushes in the motor?
Old 02-01-2015, 05:00 PM

every thing you have said points to the pedal

without pic's we have no clue what pedal you have or how it's set up.

if you have any other two wire pedals try switching the pedal
Old 02-01-2015, 05:14 PM

Not familiar with Pfaff 130 electrical set up but an electrical tester might come in handy to measure ohms or resistance of foot or knee controller. Best to have someone familiar with tester to check out. Never test a plugged in machine.

Jon
Old 02-01-2015, 05:47 PM

the pfaff 130 I have has a standard controller box with two separate plugs for both light and motor. mine is set inside a cabinet. I've substituted a controller from one of my Japanese badged machines for the cabinet one when I've had it out of the cabinet for cleaning.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:10 PM

My Pfaff 130 did something like this. Since you are sewing with fleece, my guess is that there is a small bit of thread or lint caught in the bobbin assembly. It may be too small to see, so get your magnifying glass and tweezers. Those bobbin assemblies are so finicky on that machine, although it is a great machine. Don't ever try using your bobbin for a decorative thread. Ask me how I know!

Cricket
Old 02-02-2015, 02:49 PM

Cricket, thanks for your suggestion, but I don't think it is the bobbin assembly, because I can turn the hand wheel manually, and it is smooth. I just can't get any power with the pedal -- not even bobbin winding. Wouldn't it be the case if the bobbin assembly were jammed that if the stop motion screw was turned to disengage sewing that the bobbin winder would move when power was applied?

My next step is to try to get a spare foot/knee controller from the sewing machine repair shop and try that. If that doesn't fix it, then I will need to bring it in, suspecting the motor to be the problem.

Today I did all of my sewing on the Singer 301, and it went ok. I am happy to have that option.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
, suspecting the motor to be the problem.
I would suspect the motor, also, as does Mrs. SewNSew. You should be able to check that out yourself. I thought there would be directions to do that on a sticky at the beginning of these threads, but I can't find one. Maybe someone else can find that. I know I have seen it somewhere: how to check the brushes in the motor.

Happy to see that you have a 301. I love mine also, and I purchased it new.

Last edited by maviskw; 02-03-2015 at 06:17 AM.