Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help!  Rockshaft oil wick replacement?? >

Help! Rockshaft oil wick replacement??

Help! Rockshaft oil wick replacement??

Old 03-24-2018, 11:47 AM

Default Help! Rockshaft oil wick replacement??

Soooo....I know just enough to be dangerous....and I am still learning. I picked up a 15-91 about 3 weeks ago and set about bringing it back to life. I've been working diligently most days to clean up the head and all the parts. The other night I had it turned over on its side and thought i saw a blob of greasy dust sticking out from somewhere...and get my tweasers and started pulling on it. Well..it wasn't a grease/dust blob...it was a wick. It took me 3 days to find a parts list that gave me enough detail to figure out what is IS! Now i know it's the rockshaft oil wick. So...does anyone know what size of braided wick i could use to replace this old thing? Also where I might be able to order one from?

Many thanks to whomever can offer some hope and assistance!

Sarah

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-24-2018 at 05:40 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 03-24-2018, 12:05 PM

I didn't kow the 15-91 had wicks anywhere but the motor? Are you sure? There's lots of hinges and joints under the base as well as behind the face plate and the round lid in the back. By rockshaft, you mean the horizontal rods under the base?
Old 03-24-2018, 05:51 PM

I'm guessing you are referring to part number 125056. I have two parts lists that have illustrated plates for it. I haven't had either of my 15-91s that far apart. Nor have I seen anyone refer to it. Looking at the parts list, I'm not sure how it gets in there and the adjusters manual doesn't seem to help much. Or at least to me. My suggestion would be to print at least the page that has part 125056 on it. I actually have two parts lists that show it. One has it doubled over the other is single. Both appear to be full size plates, which you could measure from the print out. I know the full size illustration plates come in handy. I used it a lot when working on my sister's 66-1.

I wonder if candle wick would work. I know they have different sizes of wicks.The wick for the motor is 3/16" diameter (according to https://shop.sew-classic.com/Motor-B...nch-WICK-3.htm and appears different than what is in parts list.

Good luck.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by sbraz64 View Post
Now i know it's the rockshaft oil wick. So...does anyone know what size of braided wick i could use to replace this old thing? Also where I might be able to order one from?

Sarah
Is this the wick you are referring to?

(Sorry, I was unable to find any definition of "rockshaft" in relationship to a 15-91.)

bkay
[ATTACH=CONFIG]591661[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 15-91-wick.jpg  
Old 03-25-2018, 07:33 AM

Hi Mickey2 and thanks for the reply...yes...I had no idea about those wicks either! Not a great surprise!
Old 03-25-2018, 07:34 AM

Okay....No actually is is underneath the machine...It's inside the rock shaft. I was surprised that it was a wick.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:38 AM

Our workbench,
Thanks so much for the reply and for the idea about candle wicks...I am going to give that a try! You are correct...The motor grease wicks will not work. I replaced those as well...Had some left.over and held it up against this oil wick I pulled out from the machine and the grease wicks quite a bit larger.....And is not braided. I have that parts list and will try to match that drawing of the wick. I will post an update when I find the right replacement! Thanks everyone!
Old 03-25-2018, 09:39 AM

And I thought I knew model 15 reasonably well. I guess I have to pick one completely appart and rebuilt it to be able to claim anything like that. Does the wick have any obvious funciton? I know the tiny felt bit near the hook and race on 66s and 99s can be ignored if we just remember to oil the parts often enough. Other places we just have to do the job thoroughly for things to run as they should. It's a reminder to carefully detect all oil points and do the job well.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:23 PM

Would the wick for an oil lamp work? Also take a look at the selvage of a piece of woolen fabric. We grew up with what was referred to as "coal oil lamps" and got in trouble more than once for playing with turning the wick up and down.