Help with Singer 503 Special

Old 12-02-2014, 01:13 PM

I know it isn't 100% necessary, but if I can get it totally, totally working I'd like to. Makes me feel powerful, I guess!
Old 12-02-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
I know it isn't 100% necessary, but if I can get it totally, totally working I'd like to. Makes me feel powerful, I guess!
That's what I'd be aiming for too, but if you need to wind a bobbin you don't have to stop the needle to do it. For example, you might want to give the Tri-flow time to work its way into threads but not let it stop you from using the winder. It also shows the machine that its tantrum doesn't bother you
Old 12-02-2014, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

I think that part of those machines is what I really don't like about them.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:55 PM

I thought I'd add to this thread the same comment I'd made when you asked on a website I'm not allowed to mention here:

Strap wrenches can also help in this situation. Typically they're non-marking. I had forgotten that the 503 doesn't look like it has a set screw - it's been a while since I had one here.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I thought I'd add to this thread the same comment I'd made when you asked on a website I'm not allowed to mention here:

Strap wrenches can also help in this situation. Typically they're non-marking. I had forgotten that the 503 doesn't look like it has a set screw - it's been a while since I had one here.
it has a set screw - I think I need 2 strap wrenches. he he Christmas is coming.

Last edited by miriam; 12-02-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:16 PM

LOL! You're welcome!

I didn't see the set screw in a few pictures I'd looked at so I thought it might be missing. In retrospect that doesn't make a lot of sense. Oil the dickens out of the set screw, then remove it, then use the strap wrench. That one might be a little challenging with the slope of the hand wheel, but I think a strap wrench can do it.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:55 PM

Update! Update! Hubby applied man hands to the stop motion knob & got it to turn! Yip, yip, yahoo! I like to think it turned at least in part because of all the lubricating i've done. Anyway. Unfortunately, when I run the machine it still makes kind of a grindy noise that seems to be coming from the gear I can see looking down into the machine that's attached to the flywheel & stop motion knob. Should I try to take off both those knobs and find more things to oil there? Will I destroy the machine if I take those off? If I can get them off. Thanks so much for all your help!
Old 12-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

Do not remove those knobs. Ask me how I know. What is making your noise could be two things or more. One could be the motor bearing. Put a little drop of oil on the shaft. The other thing could be it needs oil under the bobbin holder and under that. I had one one time gave me fits until I oiled that area real good and ran it a bit. I have a rip roaring ear infection or I would do some photos. Maybe someone knows what I mean and can add to this.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:10 PM

YAY!!

The other thing I'd ask if is you greased the fiber gear and motor gear. That and what Miriam mentions. Those are the two most common reasons for the growlies.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
Update! Update! Hubby applied man hands to the stop motion knob & got it to turn! Yip, yip, yahoo! I like to think it turned at least in part because of all the lubricating i've done.
Oh yeah, you loosened it right up for him
Joking aside your lube probably really did do the trick.
Well done Jane.