Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help with tension on 99 Singer. >

Help with tension on 99 Singer.

Help with tension on 99 Singer.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:36 PM

Default Help with tension on 99 Singer.

I'm sure this has been addressed many times on here but I decided to do a little sewing on my 99 Singer. All is well except my thread is puckering. Looks like tension is too tight maybe??? on top and my thread is breaking. Any help is appreciated. I did clean out a lot of lint under the bottom, thought maybe that was the problem, stitching still not right.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:48 PM

Depending on how much the machine has been used sometimes it is necessary to remove, clean and readjust both the top tension and the bobbin case.

Thread bits, lint, oil, fluff and just general dirt can get in between the tension disks on top and between the tension spring and bobbin case on the bottom.

I have a simple way of adjusting the bobbin case. First I take it out, very easy, then I clean everything underneath.
Second I take the bobbin case tension spring off and scrub the parts. Then I reassemble it, turn the adjusting spring in all the way then back it out one turn.
After that, I put a full bobbin in the case, thread it then gently pick the whole thing up by the thread. If you do it just right you can do it without the bobbin coming out of the case.
If the case falls away, the tension is too loose.
If it doesn't, gently bounce the thread. The case should fall away a bit each time you bounce it.
If it doesn't, it's too tight.

Now, for the top tension I go here for detailed instructions:
{ http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...machine_manual }

There's all the instructions you'll need to get the tensions right.

Joe
Old 01-27-2015, 03:53 PM

Oh, thank you Joe. I will follow your instructions and get on that link. I love this little machine and no I don't use it very often.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:02 PM

The top tension shouldn't be oiled, but I've found oil can seep into the top tensions and gum up the disks from the inside of the needle bar end. I had that happen too. One of my machines top tension just went weird. It was all oily. I'd never oiled it so that's the only thing I can figure happened.

Had to remove it, clean it and reset it. Worked great after that.

Joe