Hot foot petal

Old 04-03-2018, 08:00 PM

Default Hot foot petal

I'd like to swap out one of machines in use for a Admiral from the 50s, I'd guess. I haven't touched the Admiral in several years, but my recollection is that the foot pedal gets very hot. It is a weird looking pedal. Is it okay to use or what's the fix?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]592134[/ATTACH]Edit: Title; Pedal - whoops
Attached Thumbnails 100_0225.jpg  
Old 04-04-2018, 04:45 PM

Do not use a foot pedal that gets hot! It would only do that if it has a short in it! I can’t tell you how to fix it, but do not turn it on until it is properly wired! Always play safe.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:03 PM

Yes, I know. I am afraid of electricity. I think I will get it out, sew a few stitches to see if I like it and if I do, order a new foot pedal. The 15 clone that I have been piecing with seems stiff and I always have to turn the handwheel to start it, so I'm looking for a replacement. I have a Universal that has been rewired, but it's a left homing machine and I'm not sure how it do piecing.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Do not use a foot pedal that gets hot! It would only do that if it has a short in it! I can’t tell you how to fix it, but do not turn it on until it is properly wired! Always play safe.
^^^^^^^ What she says!
Old 04-04-2018, 07:06 PM

You might look at your universal set up and see if you can swap it on your Admiral.

love that white stripe.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
This is not necessarily true. The way the old controllers work if you aren't pressing them full on speed racer, if you're only pushing it part way, they turn the unused power into heat so they will get warm. That's kind of an over simplification but it's basically how they work. If it's getting hot it could be that you've been sewing long seams with the pedal only partly depressed. It could also just need to have all the dirt cleaned out of it and be adjusted. Cari
Old 04-05-2018, 03:41 AM

There is a few blog post on the web on how to fix and adjust the Singer bakelite pedal. When one of these pedals get more than slightly warm something is out of adjustment. I can't search right now, but Archaic Arcane has at least two blog post on it. Many of the old pedal has similar adjustment options. Another thing that can be done is taking out the carbon disks, and very carefully clean each of, or replace them if you can find new. It's a dusty job, but within doable. A food peldal will get warm, that's how they work, but very hot then something is wrong. Any basic replacment pedal should work with your machine, it only needs to be rewired onto the existing cord and plug set.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
This is not necessarily true. The way the old controllers work if you aren't pressing them full on speed racer, if you're only pushing it part way, they turn the unused power into heat so they will get warm. That's kind of an over simplification but it's basically how they work. If it's getting hot it could be that you've been sewing long seams with the pedal only partly depressed. It could also just need to have all the dirt cleaned out of it and be adjusted. Cari
That's what I was thinking too.