How do I...

Old 10-20-2012, 05:01 PM

Default How do I...

get the wooden knobs off of a treadle cabinet? There are no screws that go through the drawer fronts and I can't figure out how the knobs are attached. I know the purists will croak, but this is the cabinet for a Singer 66 that I'm going to paint pink (the machine pink). I'm going to decoupage black and cream toile on the top of the cabinet where the veneer is cracked and gone. The cabinet itself will be champagne metallic pearl and the new knobs I bought are real vintagey copper antiqued beaded ovals. Now I just have to figure out how to get the original knobs off!
Old 10-20-2012, 05:08 PM

All of my nobs have screws in them from the back side, perhaps your nobs have the screw in the nob. Have you tried gently unscrewing them?

I'm not a purist, I actually dislike that name, but I wouldn't ever paint a treadle cabinet. However, this is one paint job I wanna see.
So when you're done with it, please post some pics.

Joe
Old 10-20-2012, 05:41 PM

LOL. Joe, normally I wouldn't paint one either, but most of the veneer is gone off of it. I've got it all back together, but it still has LOTS of gouges and dings. I'm filling them with wood filler and sanding them smooth, but I don't see any way to save it, other than paint it. A stained finish would look awful after all the repairs that have been made on it. I'll try unscrewing the knobs. Never thought of that!
Old 10-20-2012, 09:49 PM

MimiBug123,

I'm working on a Singer 9W-7 treadle cabinet that was used for an aquarium stand. I had to replace the veneer on the machine cover, but was able to save the veneer on the large top part.

Veneer can be replaced fairly easily. The only bad thing about it is finding the correct wood and the price. It ain't cheep. Most of these cabinets use what I've been told is quarter sawn oak. Sometimes they don't have it so you have to play with the stain to make it look right.

I'll get some pics up of it as soon as I get it waxed and assembled.

Joe
Old 10-20-2012, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I'll get some pics up of it as soon as I get it waxed and assembled.

Joe
Joe,

Can you post some pictures of your veneer repairs before and after staining??? (in another thread, of course.

Shari
Old 10-21-2012, 06:09 AM

Can hardly wait to see your painted cabinet and the PINK machine. Sometimes a hopeless cabinet can be given a new life with a bit of creativity. What kind of material are you going to decoupage on the top, paper or fabric????
Old 10-21-2012, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mom3 View Post
Joe,

Can you post some pictures of your veneer repairs before and after staining??? (in another thread, of course.

Shari
Ummm, I think I said that already ......

Joe
Old 10-21-2012, 07:32 PM

Caroline, I'm going to be using a heavyweight fabric. I used it to make curtains for my dining room and decided that I didn't like the paint color, so when I repainted it, I had to make more curtains. Now the old curtains are going to be a new sewing machine top. I thought about doing the veneer and all that good stuff, but it was a freebie and the machine is a very common 66, so I'm going out of the box on this one!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:34 PM

Joe, can't wait to see your repairs. I know it will be gorgeous. Someone had already started painting this cabinet a really ugly poopoo brown color, so I wasn't about to strip it to get it back to whatever the color of the wood was underneath the broken veneer. It's turning out really nice, but I still don't have the knobs off yet!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:20 PM

Pink?
To each his own.
Who knows? Maybe it will look really nice and I can say, "I was wrong." Hope so.