Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How do you clean a Crinkle finish? >

How do you clean a Crinkle finish?

How do you clean a Crinkle finish?

Old 04-06-2014, 08:30 PM

Default How do you clean a Crinkle finish?

Hello.

I am in process of cleaning and oiling an Eldredge Rotary sewing machine. The oiling is complete and now I would like to polish the metal and address the crinkle finish.

Does anyone have any proven methods, tips, or suggestions on how to best clean a crinkle finish without causing any damage to that finish?
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 04-07-2014, 03:39 AM

When I cleaned up my Kenmore crinkle finish I used the spray foam cleaner "Tuff Stuff" and a damp sponge, then wiped it off with old t-shirts.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:01 AM

I use a cotton pad ( like you remove make up and stuff with ) and sewing machine oil. For the tough problem areas I use the SM oil and a tooth brush.

So far that has cleaned them up right nice.

Joe
Old 04-07-2014, 06:02 AM

I used goop waterless hand cleaner and electric tooth brush and mopped up the stuff with paper towels. Seems like the brown crud just kept losing up and coming. It didn't seem to harm the decals, I was very gentle going over them.
Mine was so bad, I started with the hated WD40, but it really helped in the initial wipe down. Then I used the tooth brush and goop.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:40 AM

What Joe said. Your machine looks good in the pics. You don't need anything more than oil to get it clean.
NophaDesertRat, the brown crud may have been the shellac clearcoat lifting off. The shellac gets pretty fragile with age and anything harsher than sewing machine oil can damage it. I'm not familiar with newer Goop products but IIRC the old hand cleaner had pumice in it. Avoid any abrasive cleaners as well.
Rodney
Old 04-07-2014, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I use a cotton pad ( like you remove make up and stuff with ) and sewing machine oil. For the tough problem areas I use the SM oil and a tooth brush.

So far that has cleaned them up right nice.

Joe
Ditto, ditto.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

I don't know of anything that makes godzella finish look nice. It IS godzella finish... and I'm not crazy about it.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:09 AM

Godzilla is a Hollywood created monster that likes to destroy big cities.

The finish on these old machines is simply crinkle paint. If applied with proper preparation it is durable and pleasing. It can be damaged by improper use of chemicals, but with gentle cleaning using SM oil and cotton pads or balls it does clean up nicely. But just like like the smooth paint it can be ruined.

So take care how you clean it or you'll really have an ugly piece of machinery.

I have ...... oh five or six of them; Singers, White, and Kenmores and to me they all look pretty decent.

Joe
Old 04-08-2014, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
What Joe said. Your machine looks good in the pics. You don't need anything more than oil to get it clean.
NophaDesertRat, the brown crud may have been the shellac clearcoat lifting off. The shellac gets pretty fragile with age and anything harsher than sewing machine oil can damage it. I'm not familiar with newer Goop products but IIRC the old hand cleaner had pumice in it. Avoid any abrasive cleaners as well.
Rodney
at least in the ones I've come across, there doesn't appear to be a clear shellac or lacquer top coat. I have just used a foaming spray clenser. I haven't used oil, because i fear it will just build up with dust and create another layer of gook.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:02 AM

Jim,

Here are some pics of mine:
(Just happened to have the thumb drive stuck in the machine )

[ATTACH=CONFIG]470678[/ATTACH]
Kenmore 117-720

[ATTACH=CONFIG]470680[/ATTACH]
Kenmore 117-812

[ATTACH=CONFIG]470681[/ATTACH]
Singer 66-18 ( Have two, had three.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]470682[/ATTACH]
White Dressmaster 127

~~ AND ~~

Here is a before and after of a Singer 66-18 that the crinkle paint was cleaned with only SM oil and cotton balls / pads.
Before:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]470690[/ATTACH]

After:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]470691[/ATTACH]

So, IMNSHO detergents, foaming or otherwise isn't needed. I'll stick with the SM oil.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails img_5318.jpg   14-kenmore-117-812.jpg   img_5065.jpg   louise.jpg   front-cu.jpg  

after-cleaning-b.jpg