Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How do you get an accurate 1/4" seam allowance on a FW? >

How do you get an accurate 1/4" seam allowance on a FW?

How do you get an accurate 1/4" seam allowance on a FW?

Old 07-01-2013, 03:05 AM

Default 1/4 inch seam guide

Originally Posted by conniemaried View Post
I've inherited my mother's FW (yes, the one I learned to sew on!) and would like to use it, but haven't figured out how to get an accurate 1/4" seam allowance on it. I ordered a seam gauge that screws on, but it sits over a round head screw that lifts the gauge up off the bed of the machine, and the fabric can get under it. I also know that there's an engraved replacement plate that you can get, but it's a little pricey for me right now. I don't want anything sticky. Can't find a quarter inch foot. So what's left? There's got to be a way, with so many quilters using the FW, so please share with me how you gauge your seams. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-221-F...-/181157590216

Here is a link for a 1/4 inch seam guide foot for your machine.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:07 AM

in a pinch I use the blue painter's tape - works like a charm!
Old 07-01-2013, 04:14 AM

The blue or green tape but I like the idea of the post its, the pad gives you some height.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

I think the easiest thing would be to get a piece of paper - draw a line on it 1/4 inch from the edge - set it under the presser foot and see how far from the edge of the paper the edge of your presser foot is when the needle touches the line you drew.

One can learn to 'eyeball' where the edge of the fabric is after you have figured out 'exactly' where it needs to be in relation to the presser foot you are using.

It may barely stick out - it may stick out 1/8 of an inch - it might be 'inside' the presser foot by 1/16 of an inch. After you figure out 'where' that 1/4 inch is, that is half the battle.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:44 AM

I know this will get gasps but I just draw on my stitch plate with a Sharpie. I have to redo it occasionally but it works fine. The other thing I have is the seam guide that came with my Janome 6600. It works fine on the FW and the 301. Screws down tight on the bed.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:16 AM

I use the 1/4" foot that I bought for my 70's Sears Kenmore machine. I also use my "Little Foot" that I bought for the featherweight. The featherweight is a short shank machine and most short shank feet will fit it. My 70's Sears Kenmore is a short shank and the feet from it are interchangeable with my featherweight. Haven't tried it, but I think the walking foot that I bought for my Kenmore will work on the featherweight. See www.littlefoot.net
Old 07-01-2013, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Bonnie Hunter does a seam guide out of a 3M command strip and a hotel key card. Go to her site www.quiltville.blogspot.com and look in the tip section. I think it is under Best Seam Guide Ever.
this really works its what i use
Old 07-01-2013, 08:44 AM

This is the one most of the ladies in our sewing circle (turning into a quilting group) use:
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Shan...ade-P60610.htm
Old 07-01-2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
This is the one most of the ladies in our sewing circle (turning into a quilting group) use:
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Shan...ade-P60610.htm
I have bought 7 of those feet 1/4" feet for my Singer treadles and featherweights, it works with all my machines.
Sharon
Old 07-01-2013, 12:39 PM

I use blue painter's tape and put the edge along where 1/4" in. I actually also measured other commonly used measurements such as 1/2 and 5/8 and drew them on the tape. I've never had any problem with painter's tape taking the finish off anything or leaving goo of any kind.
As far as the walking foot goes - the outside of the foot is 3/8". Mine has some cut outs on the presser foot and the edge of one of the cutouts is 1/4". I only use my walking foot for quilting layers. For piecing I use a regular foot so it is rare that I need a 1/4" seam when using my walking foot. If I'm quilting with the walking foot I just use the edge of my presser foot (which is 3/8) as a guide or use the longer guide which fits into the back of it if I want a wider distance between rows.