Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How does refinishing a cabinet affect it's value? >

How does refinishing a cabinet affect it's value?

How does refinishing a cabinet affect it's value?

Old 04-24-2013, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

I decide on whether I want to make money off it (resale) or make money off it (sewing). If I can't use it I don't want it. Ditto what Solstice3 said.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Dolly .. just my opinion and bear in mind I am not an antique expert by any stretch of the imagination ...

... The only items (machine or cabinet) I would not dare to refinish are pieces that are very rare (meaning less than 100 survived) or have historical significance (ie documented provenance that it belonged to Mary Todd). A mass produced Singer cabinet is neither. If the item is going to live in my house and be displayed in my house, I want it to look pretty. Almost all of my cabinets are going to undergo a degree of restoration/refinishing (stripping varnish on wood, replacing veneers, sand blasting irons and re-painting, re-plating metals, replacing screws, re-upholstering stool bench seat).

So if the discoloration bothers you and this is not a rare cabinet ... go ahead and refinish it.

I agree, after selling & refinishing "antiques" for many years your reply is true !! If one likes it as is, fine, this shows the history & life of the item. If one prefers it to look "nice" that is also OK