Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How often do you oil your 100+ treadle? >

How often do you oil your 100+ treadle?

How often do you oil your 100+ treadle?

Old 10-07-2014, 02:46 AM

Default How often do you oil your 100+ treadle?

Do you oil everytime you go to sew? If you sew only every 3-4 days? Use it every day? Machine and treadle each time? Can you ever oil too much?
Old 10-07-2014, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
Do you oil everytime you go to sew? If you sew only every 3-4 days? Use it every day? Machine and treadle each time? Can you ever oil too much?
No, no, no, no and probably.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:37 AM

I oil mine about every 6 to 8 hours of sewing. Or if I've let it sit for a long period of time between uses.

Can you oil too much? Yes.
If the oil is dripping down the needle and presser foot bars onto your fabric that's to much.
If you have to use an automotive drip tray under the cabinet, that's too much.
If you get up from sewing and your feet are all oily, that's too much.
If you have oil spray on the wall and ceiling from the hand wheel, that's too much.

Sewing machines don't take much oil. It just needs to go in the right places.

Remember the old Brylcream commercial?
Brylcream, a little drop will do ya.
Well it's the same with sewing machines. Just one little drop in the right places and you're good to sew.

Joe
Old 10-07-2014, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I oil mine about every 6 to 8 hours of sewing. Or if I've let it sit for a long period of time between uses.

Can you oil too much? Yes.
If the oil is dripping down the needle and presser foot bars onto your fabric that's to much.
If you have to use an automotive drip tray under the cabinet, that's too much.
If you get up from sewing and your feet are all oily, that's too much.
If you have oil spray on the wall and ceiling from the hand wheel, that's too much.

Sewing machines don't take much oil. It just needs to go in the right places.

Well it's the same with sewing machines. Just one little drop in the right places and you're good to sew.

Joe
Thank you for the specific time -- 8 hours of sewing.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:49 AM

When I oiled a machine, I would put a piece of fabric under the presser foot, and insert the needle using the hand wheel when I was done for storage..............any excess oil would be absorbed into the scrap fabric.........remember to pull out the thread and cut some off before stitching..............calla
Old 10-07-2014, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post

Joe
I remember that little ditty from when I was very small. I used to sing the song along with the commercial "a little dab'll do ya". It greatly irritated my grandmother.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by jlm5419 View Post
I remember that little ditty from when I was very small. I used to sing the song along with the commercial "a little dab'll do ya". It greatly irritated my grandmother.
We used to drive my prude mother up a wall when we would sing that upon hearing of a 'shot gun' wedding! She used to get all upset that we would know about such things and then we were forced to listen AGAIN to her theory on these pregnancies. She was a prude but a wise woman, "No pregnancy is an accident because ONLY GOD can create that child and He does no accidental thing. EVER. The child could very well be a blessing as the boy and girl might have walked away from each other when GOD wants them together for life. Just maybe it is His nudge. He says children are a blessing so figure out the blessing and not the burden in this life." She always jumped in and threw wedding showers for the couples and newborn gifts and stayed in their lives until she was sure that child knew their parents saw them as a blessing and not a burden. But, oh boy oh boy, did she get upset when we would sing it upon the news. . .
Old 10-08-2014, 04:27 PM

Folks, I, too believe that children are a real blessing. My husband and I were only gifted with one son, and he's so much like his Dad, it's unbelievable. My oldest sister's oldest daughter is adopted, but she's my niece just as surely as any of my other nieces (and nephews, too, of course). My oldest sister has a son and a daughter, both adopted, and they are just as precious to me as any of my other nieces or nephews. It must pass down in the family, because one of my nephews adopted three (YES, THREE) siblings because they didn't want to separate the brothers and a sister. Then, my nephew and his wife had two of their own! Large family! But, all of them are so precious to me! So, yes, we all used to sing Tennessee Ernie Ford's "Shotgun Buggie" a lot! LOL

Jeanette
Old 10-08-2014, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
Folks, I, too believe that children are a real blessing. My husband and I were only gifted with one son, and he's so much like his Dad, it's unbelievable. My oldest sister's oldest daughter is adopted, but she's my niece just as surely as any of my other nieces (and nephews, too, of course). My oldest sister has a son and a daughter, both adopted, and they are just as precious to me as any of my other nieces or nephews. It must pass down in the family, because one of my nephews adopted three (YES, THREE) siblings because they didn't want to separate the brothers and a sister. Then, my nephew and his wife had two of their own! Large family! But, all of them are so precious to me! So, yes, we all used to sing Tennessee Ernie Ford's "Shotgun Buggie" a lot! LOL

Jeanette
Seeing you sign "Jeanette" combined with this conversation and your words/sharing sure make me feel close to my long-gone mother; her name was Jeanette. Prayers and blessings for your family.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:49 PM

Is there a web site that anyone knows about that will show you where you have to oil. I have a white treadle that was my mother-in-laws that has probably set for forty years without being used or oiled. I want to play with it but have no idea where to oil it.