Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I decided to buy her...Singer Fashion Mate

Smile I decided to buy her...Singer Fashion Mate

I decided to buy this Singer Fashion Mate. I want to thank everyone for all your help. She started off running really slow and after a few minutes she is moving much faster. The terrible noise I hear sounds like a rattle from the motor. DH is going to take it off in a few minutes to see whats going on. I need to download the manual to see where I need to oil her.

Name:  photo-47.JPG
Views: 1066
Size:  487.6 KBName:  photo-46.JPG
Views: 1135
Size:  595.4 KB
    Last edited by pinkberrykay; 02-06-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Looks like a good one!! Have fun bringing her back to life!

That was the machine that I started out sewing on when I was 9 years old. No one in my family sewed so I had to teach myself. By the time the "Singer man" came to the house to show me how, I had it all figured out! Nice machine, congrats!

Congrats! She is beautiful.

You are on a roll with sewing machines! I actually saw a Singer 403 today. Didn't have thread, so just tried it with material and the needle. I see one of those in my future!

Congratulations on your newest find! :-)

Dh and I got it cleaned up and he was able to get the rattle out of the motor~the motor clamp was loose. I have her all oiled up and she runs.

The PROBLEM...she won't stitch thru fabric. The thread runs thru the machine fine the feed dogs are up, it just doesn't create a stitch on my fabric. It seems like its not pulling the thread thru the fabric.

What is going on?????

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a needle problem. Have you got the needle in correctly? Some of those machines the needle goes in left to right. Also you have the knob set in reverse. ALso do you have it set on straight stitch? I can't see the picture good enough. That knob on the bottom is either a reverse or you push it up or down to rewind the bobbin. Push on it and see if it comes up. If it does it will let you sew. No the knob isn't reverse. It to rewind the bobbin. I'll bet it is stuck for rewinding.
    Last edited by barny; 02-06-2012 at 02:22 PM.

when you say left to right what do you mean? I just stick it straight into the hole, flat side of needle to the back. Ill go back and read the directions about the needles.

I think I figured out the needle, but now I have this problemName:  photo-48.JPG
Views: 983
Size:  528.2 KB

Blog Entries
    Well, I meant flat side to the right side on the needle.ha. Did you push on the round knob on front of the machine to try to get it up or down? It runs the bobbin winder. It may be stuck. Maybe you need to take the screws outof the needle plate and see what is down in there. no telling. I'm not talking very good am I? I mean the flat side of the needle facing toward the wheel.
    Last edited by barny; 02-06-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Hi Kay, first off congratulations! The 237 is a great machine.

The needle goes with the flat to the back, you have it correct.

The knob you see on the bed of the machine is for dropping the feed dogs for FMQ.

Now let's figure out why your machine is not making a stitch. Do me a favor and open the slide plate all the way. Then stick some fabric under the needle, drop the presser foot, and use your hand to turn the handwheel towards you to place a couple of stitches. While you are doing this, watch the bobbin case carefully to see what's going on. Tell us what you see. Is the needle thread being pulled across the bobbin case?
    - Rain

Vintage Singer Sewing Machine Blog
    http://vssmb.blogspot.com/

The round knob on the bed of the machine isn't for the bobbin winder, it's to drop the feed dogs. If you ever see a white 237, you'll see it lacks this knob, as those versions of the machine do not have the feed dog dropping ability.
    - Rain

Hi Kay, this problem in the photo is because you have the needle in incorrectly. You had it right the first time, with the flat to the back!
    - Rain

Congrats on your new machine, the cabinet on this one looks very nice, I like that style of cabinet! Sounds like maybe your timing is off - I am sure Rain can talk you through that one to get her up and running!

Name:  photo-49.JPG
Views: 325
Size:  470.6 KBthe bobbin is turning but after 2 turns this is what it looks like. I need to change the needle back too.

I just turned the back side of need to the back and it is not piercing the fabric now.

Blog Entries
    I'd say that was my old machine but mine wasn't in a cabinet. It was a great little machine, the first one I owned after getting married.

My suggestion about your problem is to check that you have the bobbin in correctly. Getting a manual will probably answer a lot of your questions.

I found a copy of the manual on line and I am using that for direction.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    I'd say that was my old machine but mine wasn't in a cabinet. It was a great little machine, the first one I owned after getting married.

My suggestion about your problem is to check that you have the bobbin in correctly. Getting a manual will probably answer a lot of your questions.

Name:  photo-50.JPG
Views: 314
Size:  424.6 KB SUCCESS!!!!!!! I had the machine threaded wrong. Once I got that figured out I was good to go. For those that have this machine, may I ask what setting you put your thread tension and presser dial at? Thank you again all so much I really appreciate it it.

It doesn't matter what others have their machines set at. You need to figure out which tension # works best for YOUR machine. I have 4, 301's and each one is different.
    Last edited by Candace; 02-06-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Name:  photo-51.JPG
Views: 294
Size:  557.6 KBSo I played around with some FMQ and WOW this thing does so much better then my Janome. I am so glad I ended up buying her~I almost didn't. I love the D (daring option) on the dials) it takes the guess work out of it.

Awesome, am psyched you got the machine up and running! The 237's a great machine, and I'm glad you didn't pass on what turned out to be a simple-to-fix case of noise.
    - Rain

Just want to say, congrats. I just bought the same machine last fall and love it! She sews like a dream. Mine did not turn at all....she was frozen, but a little overnight soak in oil and she loosened right up. One thing I did find was that the bobbin case was dirty...you know that old gray looking dirty metal kind of dirty and the stitches were not very nice. I took my trusty dremel tool and used the brass brush attachment (gentler than the steel brush) and cleaned all the corrosion (?) off inside and out, wiped it down with a little oil, dried it and no more problems. I also just found the cabinet has a knee control! Have fun!!

Blog Entries
    Well, Kay now you know I didn't know what I was talking about lol. I tried didn't I?

I believe this is the same machine I saw for sale at a neighbors garage sale this weekend. It belonged to his wife and he was selling it for $30 and cabinet was in gorgeous shape also. Wish someone on this board that lives in Tucson wanted this nice machine. I don't have room for her.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast