Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I hit a (small) jackpot...Singer 252 presser feet, and still no penguin >

I hit a (small) jackpot...Singer 252 presser feet, and still no penguin

I hit a (small) jackpot...Singer 252 presser feet, and still no penguin

Old 08-07-2015, 10:45 AM

Default I hit a (small) jackpot...Singer 252 presser feet, and still no penguin

If I were playing a nickel slot machine (does Vegas offer nickel machines?) I hit the nickel-size-jackpot!

I'm continuing my quest to kit out my world-traveling Singer Fashion Mate 252 with the basic attachments that should have been included with it back in 1975.

I went back to the thrift store that has the same 252 in a wonky cabinet. They are wanting $70 for something that is worth $10 at most. I would like to have a spare Pressure Dial; mine is scuffed, but it's not worth that to me.

Their machine and cabinet is beat to pieces; the slide throat plate is off and its spring is twisted. It does have the original manual, (I finally found one about 15 years ago), a Japanese-made buttonhole slider foot, (don't need) and several bits and pieces.

They did have the clear pacrylic/nylon (?) zipper foot shown in the owner's manual as an "included" accessory. It was scuffed on the back end of the foot, but the clerk offered it to me for 25 cents. Great! It can be a place holder until I find one in good condition.

She also sold me a snap-on straight stitch foot, #153267. It has the very narrow attachment bar that matches the skinny ankle that came with my 252. It was not one of the included accessories, but since it was only a quarter, too...it followed me home.

There was the original tension screw driver, brown plastic, marked "Singer 161295." The end of the bit was warped, nicked, and twisted, so even at 25-cents I passed it up.

Now the small "original" parts box holds four transparent and three metal Class 66 bobbins, the original snap-on general purpose foot and ankle, a generic hemmer foot that came with the machine (but there's no way it was the intended Singer 16171), two versions of the blind stitch guide, original feed cover plate 171285, and the odd, clear zipper foot.

I'm still shopping for the tension screw driver and the clear "Special Purpose" foot. There was one in the cabinet at the thrift store but it was cracked and the attachment bar was pulled out. I also want to find just the bottom section of the avocado green (Gotta love 1975!) carrying case.

This has been a fun quest. Once I have all the parts together I'm going to oil her up and eek out at least one project using all of the original accessories and functions. I'll cover the Singer 15-91 and Pfaff 130-6 so they won't feel insulted.

This zipper foot photo shows a "new" version; the one I got is a beat up and scuffed original.
Attached Thumbnails 507836-zipper-foot-480x308-.jpg  

Last edited by Caroline94535; 08-07-2015 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Trying for a smaller photo
Old 08-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

Some thrift stores have scheduled half off days don't forget.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:03 PM

Looks like TandTRepair might have what you need.
http://www.tandtrepair.com/Presser_Feet.html
They're down toward the bottom of the page.
Rodney