Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I just found a 1957 Singer at an estate sale... >

I just found a 1957 Singer at an estate sale...

I just found a 1957 Singer at an estate sale...

Old 07-30-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ellen
http://blog.sew-classic.com/2009/03/...ne-review.aspx

Scroll down, mine looks like the one on the left. Can click on picture to enlarge it.

Now I need to find out what machine lubricant is....NOT oil, and where to find it.
It's a motor lube, and you can get it anywhere that sells Singer sewing machines and supplies. :)
Old 07-30-2011, 06:33 PM

http://blog.sew-classic.com/2009/03/...ne-review.aspx

Scroll down, mine looks like the one on the left. Can click on picture to enlarge it.

Now I need to find out what machine lubricant is....NOT oil, and where to find it.
Cool--the 301 is on my wish list! All I found today was a Touch and Sew.

Singer lubricant comes in a small red and white squeeze tube. They used to have them at Hancock's where I live, but I had to find mine at the local sewing machine shop last time I bought it.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:36 PM

that's ever so close but my light cover and the left end is the off white along with the top and wheel. I have a big sister for my FW...woo hoo. Now I have to think of a name.
I'd say the name should be "Lucky"!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:36 PM

Oh my gosh, there's a red and white tube in the accessory box....never thought to look to see what it was. Yabbadabbadoooooo !!!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:54 PM

[

Cool--the 301 is on my wish list! All I found today was a Touch and Sew.

Funny, I have spent two straight days running from estate sales, yard sales, church sales, junk stores, etc looking for a Touch and Sew and all I found were 30l's. I am determined that the next machine I purchase will the like the first one my husband gave me after we got married.
doglover
Old 07-30-2011, 06:57 PM

Nikki, I'll try to get a bigger/better picture of my avatar posted tomorrow. It's called Arkansas Crossroads...they usually use white roads but this fabric called for black. I used a jelly roll for the squares. The inner border is a lt. gold just over 1/8" flat piping....Just screams white and wider doesn't it? A very happy accident.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:24 PM

wow....lucky you! I can't find one but do know of some not far from me & he charges quite a bit but then again his are all taken apart, re-oiled, cleaned before he sells them but still....~~~~sigh~~~
Old 07-31-2011, 05:05 PM

Gosh, nwm, I wouldn't even begin looking there...there are plenty of machines out there. I'm in a very small town west of Tampa and managed to find both a FW (yrs ago) and the 301 right in my own neighborhood. Keep looking and good luck.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:11 PM

That's a great find!! Now all you need is a Mocha and a black 301 to complete your set :mrgreen: of colors but then you will also have to find the shortbeds and longbeds of each color! I have 7 of them.....not sure how I got them all but I think the tooth fairy may be leaving them during the night!

301's are pretty easy to work on. Dave McCallum's book, "The Featherweight 221 and I" helps me because the FW and the 301 are almost the same (when it comes to working on them). There is a Yahoo group, also, for Singer slant machine owners. There is lots of info in their files for all of the various models of slants.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting View Post
It sounds as though its the same as mine (my avatar). You'll love it. Lucky you!
Is you machine in avatar a Singer 403?