Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I keep my 1947 FW busy... want to see?

I keep my 1947 FW busy... want to see?

I just got back from NC for my last grandchild's HS graduation and my great-grandbaby had her 3rd birthday while I was there. I had made her a birthday dress with my 1947 FW and I thought I'd let you all see.... I just love sewing on it.... so much that I left the fancy Viking back at my son's house till the summer is over. .... I'm only using the FW here at the cabin and I don't think there's anything I won't be able to sew while I'm here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

that is just the cutest little dress - love all the ruffles! I used to love sewing my daughter fancy dresses for her birthday - I still have them all hanging in her closet...waiting for a grand daughter now!

Blog Entries
    That dress is truly adorable! How blessed you and your family are. Congrats to all of you.

Love the ruffle detail in the back! Both your granddaughter and the dress are pretty.
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

Your great granddaughter is beautiful and that sure is an adorable dress!! Is that embroidery that I see on the front of the dress?
    ~~Cathy~~

That is soooo adorable!

Blog Entries
    Your granddaughter is PRECIOUS...and I wish I had your talent!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Wow! You made an adorable dresss for an adorable lil girl! Wish i had sewing talents like that!! Lucky girl!!

Blog Entries
    Oh, my! What an adorable dress! Your great-granddaughter is the perfect little princess. Beautiful!

Absolutely precious, both grandchild and dress. Who likes blue and purple?
    Kitsy

Thanks, you all. You are too kind. I sewed clothing before I ever quilted. I love to sew pretty dresses for my girls! Cathy, you asked about the front. It's smocking. I took a class when this baby was about to be born so I could make some smocked dresses for her and her step-sister. ..... and this baby's favorite color is PURPLE!! When the package arrived, my granddaughter said she tried the dress on her and she didn't want to take it off because it was PURPLE!!

Even though I hate doing ruffles, I knew my greatGD had to have this dress and the FW really made those ruffles easy. ... so easy that I made a matching purse with ruffles on one side and smocking on the other that matched the dress..... didn't get a picture of the purse though. My FW was so happy sewing away, making that dress and purse. It's only unhappy when it's sitting and not being sewn on for a few days.

You did a good job! That's really cute.
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

The dress is adorable, matches her birthday theme perfectly.

Blog Entries
    The baby is darling, and the dress is stunning! Is this (the dress!) your own design?

Quote Originally Posted by greaterexp View Post
    The baby is darling, and the dress is stunning! Is this (the dress!) your own design?
    No, it would be nice if it were but I get Australian Smocking & Embroidery magazine and it's from issue 88 (They don't have dates on them). I have several years issues and the patterns are in the magazines. So, it makes it easy to find a cute little dress to make for a birthday or holiday.

FLQ
    Oh my, what a gorgeous dress and Grandbaby! I love them both but that cake has also got my attention. Looks like you did a fabulous job with your FW. I love mine and it goes with me in our motorhome,

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    What an adorable girl! I love the dress, so cute and frilly! I love my featherweight also but only have a grandson and seem to be limited to what I can make for a boy. I've made a lot of pillowcases, quilts, some stuffed toys when he was younger.
    She who dies with the most fabric didn't sew fast enough!

What an adorable little one and such a lovely dress! I learned how to do smocking when DD was little. There were so many cute patterns! Do you have a pleater, or do you do it with the transfer dots? The favorite one I made DD was one on fabric with tiny polka dots that I just used the dots of the fabric to do my pleating. Wish I knew what happened to my pleater...guess it went the way of the many things that were lost when our house burned a dozen years ago.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Blog Entries
    Adorable dress and even more adorable great grand baby!! Lucky you!! On both accounts! :-)

Blog Entries
    She's a real cutie pie. Love the dress. The ruffles are wonderful.

Fantastic dress, and darling GD!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

The dress and your GD are both adorable. Sigh, only grandsons in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
    What an adorable little one and such a lovely dress! I learned how to do smocking when DD was little. There were so many cute patterns! Do you have a pleater, or do you do it with the transfer dots? The favorite one I made DD was one on fabric with tiny polka dots that I just used the dots of the fabric to do my pleating. Wish I knew what happened to my pleater...guess it went the way of the many things that were lost when our house burned a dozen years ago.
    I'm sorry to hear that you lost your pleater. I bought mine on eBay when I started learning to smock. I was living in NC at the time and there were places that I could get things pleated but I knew that when I went back to Michigan I wouldn't be able to find anyone to do it. So I bought one. Now that I've said that, someone will come back and say that they live in Michigan and smock. I just don't know anyone here that does it. It's pretty popular in the South... like where you are in Texas.

The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    Oh My! Such a beautiful, beautiful little dress! The ruffles on the back just set it off. I love how the colors of the dress and the birthday cake and cupcakes match. These pictures are just precious. Thank you for sharing!
    Shirley
    "We shall pass this way on Earth but once; if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again." Stephen Grellet

That is just adorable. She is a lucky little girl to have someone like you to love her.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast