I Love My Featherweight

Old 03-26-2011, 08:58 PM

I just joined the quilting board after receiving the blog for a long time.
I have a Featherweight I love as well. If I need parts I go to:www.221parts.com. You can click on Attachments and you will find the feed dog cover for a reasonable price. I believe they also have the darning foot. It's a great site and an excellent resource for Featherweight stuff! :-D
Old 03-26-2011, 10:12 PM

i have 2 featherweights, Brooks and Evelyn, named after my aunt and mom who owned them before me. i learned to sew on evelyn before i was in school, as did my two sisters. everything from dollclothes to formals! they are both black and i never knew they came in colors. that red one is GORGEOUS! mmmmmm, i'm in lust! i never would have guessed the fw has such a strong following.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by nancia
they are both black and i never knew they came in colors. that red one is GORGEOUS! mmmmmm, i'm in lust! i never would have guessed the fw has such a strong following.
While I agree the colored FWs are gorgeous, realize these have been repainted and generally cost quite a bit. The advantage is they've been completely gone through so they are like a new machine inside too. However I've seen quite a few on ebay that had the paint chipping or flaking off. So maybe some are better at repainting then others.

Singer only sold FWs in Black, Tan and White/Celery. There are a few times I've been tempted to purchase a refurbished one. Besides the red, another I've seen is "root beer" color and oh is that one rich looking.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
Originally Posted by lsb142
I'm a new quilter. At my quilting class a couple of the ladies had Featherweights. I fell in love. I was able to find one on Ebay for a reasonable price. It sews like a dream. I definitely wouldn't sell it for twice what I paid for it.

Linda
This morning I've taken delivery of mine and am absolutely thrilled. It's so beautiful, and sews so smoothly. I found mine on Ebay too: it's obviously been cherished and is in wonderful condition. Even the case looks like new. We're both 1953 babies, and I think the FW is doing better than me :)
One question: there's no darning foot or feed dog cover included: does anyone know if I'm likely to be able to obtain them?
Thought you all would like to know i found a website for the feed dog cover for our featherweight 221 that's only $8.95 w/ free shipping. Here is the link: http://www.april1930s.com/html/embro...feed_cove.html
Old 03-28-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by dap2762
Originally Posted by annesthreads
Originally Posted by lsb142
I'm a new quilter. At my quilting class a couple of the ladies had Featherweights. I fell in love. I was able to find one on Ebay for a reasonable price. It sews like a dream. I definitely wouldn't sell it for twice what I paid for it.

Linda
This morning I've taken delivery of mine and am absolutely thrilled. It's so beautiful, and sews so smoothly. I found mine on Ebay too: it's obviously been cherished and is in wonderful condition. Even the case looks like new. We're both 1953 babies, and I think the FW is doing better than me :)
One question: there's no darning foot or feed dog cover included: does anyone know if I'm likely to be able to obtain them?
Thought you all would like to know i found a website for the feed dog cover for our featherweight 221 that's only $8.95 w/ free shipping. Here is the link: http://www.april1930s.com/html/embro...feed_cove.html
I ordered a walking foot from them last week. I'm waiting for it to arrive. I also ordered a 1/4" foot, free motion foot and feed dog over from www.221parts.com. I'm excited to see how well they work.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:36 PM

There is no comparison in the old ones with all metal parts & the ones they make today in my opinion. I tried buying one of those new ones & took it back & bought an old featherweight. At the time I did not know anything about either one, but my husband told me that the old one was the best in the first place. Don't you hate it when your man is right?