Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need an opinion on this machine, please

I need an opinion on this machine, please

I found this machine for $50. Does anyone know what it is besides a vintage Singer, and a very pretty one at that? Also, is that a good price? The cabinet looks to be in good shape. All opinions are welcome. Thanks for looking at it for me.
    Vicki
    Attached Images Attached Images

On the front plate, right side at the bottom, is a model number. You can go to www.singer.com and poke around. You will find a link to tell you about the machine, at least when it was made.

The machine is about 2 hrs. from me, and my sister is going to go look at it for me. I found it on CL and was just really hoping someone here might already recognize it and be able to tell me more. The ad said it was from the early 70's but not much more than that. I will see if my sister can get the number off of it so that I can look it up. Thanks for your help.
    Vicki

OK, I just looked at the pics again and I can see that it says Model 348. I will see what I can find for that.

First....Welcome to the forum

That cabinet looks awesome!! The vintage machines are wonderful, too, and very addictive--you can't have just one There is a Yahoo group for Vintage Singer machines. You can learn lots from the members and also info that they have in their files.
    ~~Cathy~~

It looks exacly like one my mom had when I was a kid. It brought back a lot of memories for me. Looks like a good sturdy machine.

The cabinet alone is worth $50.00!
    Michelle Guadarrama

It IS an oldie but a goodie and my mom had one that did yeoman service. The cabinet alone is worth that. Machines are not made this way anymore

The cabinet is very nice. I"d say it's worth $50.

Blog Entries
    Here's a little information about the Singer 348 from the Singer website. The model name is Style Mate and you can still get a manual for it.

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/...manuals/search

Banned
    Blog Entries
    looks great, well cared for! The cabinet is stunning!

The cabinet is beautiful I would pay well over 150 for it alone.

The cabinet is in good shape so that is what I would be paying the money for as I believe other machines still fit in that size. The machine is after Singer started using nylon gears in the internals I believe. It may still work but not worth any money in my book as don't know how long it would last. I would take off the top and look in to see if you can see if any of the gears are cracked.

I would offer them $30 and see what they say.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    Be sure you try it out before buying. Starting in the late 1960's the gears and other parts were nylon/plastic, and they wore out with a lot of use. They cost more to fix than they are worth. If you hear any clunking or squealing at all, don't buy it.

Blog Entries
    I bought it's sister in 1967 or 1968 for $150.00. I still use it occasionally when the computer machines act up. It is easy to clean and work on. I have serviced it myself and it is nearly foolproof. The soft, pretty blue is sure easy on the eyes. Most of the issues are with the tension system and the disks are right there and easy to clean. It only does zig zag, with no extras, but it has the most beautiful marrow or satin stitch for applique of all my machines, especially the computerized ones. Set the stitch length at NEARLY zero. You will need to practice to find whch is right for you. With this machine, you are the boss and it will not try to retrain you with messages on a screen. You can sew very slowly or very fast. The foot controller is sensitive and responsive. I still love it and have the manual. It is somewhat loud when sewing on a table, but then you have the lovely cabinet, so it should be quieter, if it has rubber dampeners in the cabinet. Feet are available at sewing machine stores. This would be a good machine for a young learner, as it is so simple to operate. As far as I know and feel, this was one of the last, good, Singers. Congradulations on your new treasure.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

Blog Entries
    My previous post didn't go through.
    I bought it's sister in 1968 for $150.00 plus tax. It has been a real workhorse since then. It makes prettier satin stitch for applique than my new computerized machines. Of all the machines, this is the easiest to use and clean. I have had it all apart to clean it and it still works today. Most of the concerns have been with the tension (upper). The disks are right there and easy to inspect and clean. The bobbin hasn't given any trouble like computized machines. It likes all thread and is very forgiving. It does require LIGHT oiling periodically. Easy does it. Manuals are on the internet, I've checked this. This would be a good machine for a young sewer, as it is hard to screw up during use. Attachments are readily available at sewing machine shops. I have had a lot of machines, but this is the most honest and foolproof of them all. The stitch is pretty too. Congradulations on your purchase.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Michellesews View Post
    The cabinet alone is worth $50.00!
    Ditto-the cabinet looks beautiful and there is nothing like these old mechanical machines. OSMG's (Old Sewing Machine Goddesses!) And if it has its manual and attachments it is even more of a steal!

Thank you all so much for your input. I knew this was the place to ask. I found your forum about 2 weeks ago and have been reading myself blind. I haven't bought this machine yet, but I probably will. I love the cabinet too. And I want a good old sewing machine. I have a treadle but have never used it. I can now learn how from this forum. Thanks again!
    Vicki

Looks beautiful, worth every penny.

Blog Entries
    O a pretty blue one.
    Love it.
    J J

Blog Entries
    Go for it, girl, it's a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wantaquilt View Post
    Thank you all so much for your input. I knew this was the place to ask. I found your forum about 2 weeks ago and have been reading myself blind. I haven't bought this machine yet, but I probably will. I love the cabinet too. And I want a good old sewing machine. I have a treadle but have never used it. I can now learn how from this forum. Thanks again!
    Vicki
    Treadles are fun to use, I have 3 Singer treadles that I use frequently.
    Sharon W.

Well, did you get the machine??? We want to know. The cabinet is really pretty and has a lot of storage in it.

Blog Entries
    look on the bottom - some of those old Singer's have a timing belt - expensive to repair
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Hi everyone,
    Well, no I haven't bought the machine, yet. I can't get over there to look at it myself and so I have decided until I can go then it will just have to wait. My sister doesn't know as much about sewing machines as I do, and I don't know as much as you all do. I know it might be gone, but if it is, it just wasn't meant for me. I need to get my treadle out now that I have found this forum. I am sure I can find out how to put the bobbin(or whatever it is called)in there and figure out how to make it sew. I put a new belt on it years ago, but didn't know how to wind the bobbin and load it in. It is one of the long ones. Thank you all so much for all your help.
    Vicki

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast