Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I thought my wife was gonna cry .................. >

I thought my wife was gonna cry ..................

I thought my wife was gonna cry ..................

Old 09-24-2012, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Amythyst02 View Post
We have Wal Marts and JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby, all within around 20 mi or so. We lost all our Hancocks, which was my go to store. Hancocks sold fabric, not all this craft stuff. It was a Fabric Store, period. And I loved it. But as JoAnn's and Wal Marts starting dipping into their sales, I guess they did not have as much business here and closed all the stores.

I always think its sad when we lose another fabric store.
But I imagine our online shopping does not help our local stores much either.
I am so sorry to hear that Hancock Fabrics closed their stores in Phx.
When we lived there, the one at 19th and Northern was my favorite store. I shopped there and the $2 Fabric store that was in Glendale across from JoAnns.
I am assuming that the $2 store is no longer there too. They had the one in Glendale that they closed due to loosing their lease and one in Mesa or Tempe.
It is beginning to look like the only store that is left is JoAnns and they will be able to command what they want in price if this happens. That will make it extremely hard on those on a fixed income.

Elaine
Old 09-24-2012, 08:18 AM

I can understand your wife wanting to cry -I quit going to Joanns years ago. Once they opened a Hancocks in the Toledo area. At that time it was a 56mile round trip vs less than 20 for 2 different Joanns. Now I'm in Lebanon Missouri and the only Hancocks is in Springfield Mo. But before my move here I stocked up on threads and batting.But I'm running out of batting and need to get to Hancocks -I get down to enough for 2 quilts I start to panic and its not a pretty sight
Old 09-24-2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I am so sorry to hear that Hancock Fabrics closed their stores in Phx.
When we lived there, the one at 19th and Northern was my favorite store. I shopped there and the $2 Fabric store that was in Glendale across from JoAnns.
I am assuming that the $2 store is no longer there too. They had the one in Glendale that they closed due to loosing their lease and one in Mesa or Tempe.
It is beginning to look like the only store that is left is JoAnns and they will be able to command what they want in price if this happens. That will make it extremely hard on those on a fixed income.

Elaine
I've often wondered if WallyWorld bought out Joanns -seems like all the other dept.and fabric stores are put out of business but these 2 keep growing. Some fabrics at W are alright but no thread choice and batting is way to expensive. I boycotted J yrs ago because they send out all those great coupons but come up with some reason or other not to honor them. 'Ma'am read the small print' -on my next coupon day I enlarged their coupon to an 8x10 so they could read their own small print.And they had to honor it. Prior to being on a fixed income I used coupons but now they are even more important. So I see I will have to start shopping on line
Old 09-24-2012, 09:01 AM

I nearly cried when I saw that, too. Springfield's White Oaks mall is going to be nothing soon!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:21 AM

When we were in Phoenix we watched Cris Town and several of other malls redecorate, then the major stores left and then the malls died. Seems that White Oaks is doing the same thing.

Joe
Old 09-24-2012, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
I can understand your wife wanting to cry -I quit going to Joanns years ago. Once they opened a Hancocks in the Toledo area. At that time it was a 56mile round trip vs less than 20 for 2 different Joanns. Now I'm in Lebanon Missouri and the only Hancocks is in Springfield Mo. But before my move here I stocked up on threads and batting.But I'm running out of batting and need to get to Hancocks -I get down to enough for 2 quilts I start to panic and its not a pretty sight
We had the same experience just a couple days ago and the salesperson recommended that I use the $5.00 off coupon instead of my 20% but would not honor both. And I think he could have. Just didn't want to probably. In the long run I realized later that the 20% would have been a better discount and it expired the same day.

JoAnns closes their two smaller stores in order to open one super store and that store SUCKS!

NOTE: from transcriber .... next time we'll blow up the coupons and make them read them too.

Elaine
Joe