Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I'm looking at a machine on Craigslist..... >

I'm looking at a machine on Craigslist.....

I'm looking at a machine on Craigslist.....

Old 05-09-2012, 10:33 AM

Default I'm looking at a machine on Craigslist.....

Anyone ever seen one of these? Supposed to be 1960's vintage, and they are asking $100. I've never done a Craigslist transaction before and it's a bit daunting.
Attached Thumbnails tingler-1.jpg   tingler-2.jpg  
Old 05-09-2012, 12:32 PM

Can't say I have! And it looks pretty darn new too! I would sit down and do a sewing test if you can; if you find any problems you can use that as a haggling point to bring the final price down. I'd say you could probably get them down to $75. Love the pink!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:40 PM

Love the pink!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:44 PM

A machine you buy now for $100 has all plastic innards. Anything this vintage is probably much better metal structure inside, and Brother is a good name. I'd go for it if I were you. Since the box is still intact, it was either not used or well cared for. JMHO
Old 05-09-2012, 01:37 PM

Looks 60's vintage to me simply based on what I know Singers looked like in that era. As to a Craigslist transaction, my only suggestion would be to meet in some public place where you can test the machine. Perhaps a LQS, JoAnns or library??? I was very trusting buying a used serger via CL and it worked out fine but I did meet the lady in a public place. I'm also looking at another machine now that I will have to go to the person's home but DH will be with me and everything seems pretty legit. I can meet either the husband or the wife...just trying to work out details now. My only other comment is that it seems a tad high priced to me for it's age. You might want to try some negotiating. Then again, I'm really cheap when it comes to buying stuff!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:57 PM

I agree this is a 1960's vintage machine. As long as it can sew, it's worth buying, and if you can get the price down some, that would be better, of course.

Love the pink!! Don't think I've seen one of those....nice!!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:13 PM

Double check it's all metal. I think this model may have been one of Brother's first machines with plastic gears and or cams. It looks brand new though and even if it has some plastic in it, I'd buy it.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:07 AM

$100 seems high to me. I did a quick Google and found one for sale in cabinet for $50. There are plenty of vintage machines that can be had for that price or better. I picked up a Singer in cabinet for $15 a week or two ago. It didn't come in the box and it didn't come with accessories, but I can buy a lot of needles and bobbins for the difference in price.

Last year, I bought a very pretty lavender Kenmore for $5. I have a slew of sewing machines now that I didn't spend a penny over $50 (each) for.

But if you're looking for something in "baby girl" pink, this might be your chance!!

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2012, 03:52 AM

I agree, it certainly has that 60's look. I think I would get them down on the price. Seems a bit steep, I love the older machines.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:39 AM

Well, rats! I missed it... already sold. Oh well, as my Mom used to say, if it was meant to be... it would have happened.