Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I'm new to this page...which foot? >

I'm new to this page...which foot?

I'm new to this page...which foot?

Old 04-09-2024, 10:40 AM

Default I'm new to this page...which foot?

Hello! I was given a 1926 Singer 99 (from what I can tell?) quite some time ago, and I finally have it up and running. I'm trying to learn the machine...is this the correct foot (pictured below) to use for piecing? And is there a place to start for getting 1/4 inch seam, or do I just keep playing around with it until I get it measured correctly? Thanks, many more questions to come I'm sure.
Attached Thumbnails presser-foot.jpg  
Old 04-09-2024, 11:50 AM

Hi and welcome. You have the general or standard foot and fabric guide on the machine. This foot could be used for piecing since you do have the fabric guide which you can set to your seam allowance. You can also purchase a 1/4" piecing foot which is available for low shank machines. The model 99 is a low shank machine. I purchased the 1/4" foot off eBay, but it is available elsewhere too. It fits all three of my Singers which is nice.

Shari
Old 04-10-2024, 01:12 PM

Thank you! very helpful
Old 04-10-2024, 07:12 PM

Everyone finds their 1/4" seam in different ways. A good way to find where your 1/4" seam, is to sew on 1/4" graph paper and see where the edge of the paper is. You might be looking at the needle plate or you may use the presser foot as a guide. Or, if your presser foot is narrow enough, you can get a screw-on seam guide.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:27 PM

On my vintage machines, I use a magnetic seam guide. It works well, but the one you have will work too. I was taught that to get your 1/4" seam you cut 3 2 1/2" squares of fabric and sew them together with a 1/4" seam. Then you measure them. They should measure 4 1/2". If you get a different measurement, you need to adjust your seams to get the correct measurement. This method allow you to get an accurate measurement of the final product no matter what type of thread or fabric you are using.