Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I'm officially resigning from the vintage sewing machine club. >

I'm officially resigning from the vintage sewing machine club.

I'm officially resigning from the vintage sewing machine club.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:01 PM

I'm like Stitchit123, I didn't know you could opt out, or not. I just enjoy reading all about the old machines, and occasionally ask for help when I find a cheapie and want to try to fix it, rather than taking it to a repair person. You are right, you can buy a brand new one for the cost of getting one repaired nowadays. But, my favorite repairman has a wife and family, so I guess he makes good use of the money he has to charge me......I've done pretty good with the help of J Miller and Miriam here on the QB; and keep intending to get back to Toni C for help with my HV Designer I. I still don't know what a dongle is....
Old 02-14-2013, 10:33 PM

Smile

I for one love my little old ladies! I have a 99, 99-13, 2 221's, all black, and a tan 401A and a celery 221. Tomorrow I pick up my black Sewmor 202 (Singer 15 clone) from my OSMG. He is rewiring and adding a foot control for me. I can't wait to get her home with the rest of the hurd. Then ... there are the plastic wonders that I got (and kept) before I knew about the fantastic old Singers!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:02 PM

I love my machines and all of you but I miss CHARLEE....where is she? It has been ages since she said she was feeling somewhat better. I hope she hasn't had a relapse. Oh, Charlee, where are you????
Old 02-15-2013, 04:11 AM

If you go to Charlee's blog you will see that she is learning to knit socks!
Old 02-15-2013, 06:00 AM

I don't know if I ever will totally give up on vintage sewing machines. There is just something about them that draws me to them. I am addicted for life I think. Really want to take a old one strip it down and paint it some outrageous color just for the fun of it. I would only like to do this once. Because I do love the old vintage look of my sewing machines.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:14 AM

I'm with you, Ann. I admire people who can make beautiful things on a vintage machine. I need all the modern conveniences of my new Janome 7700, 6600 and Bernina 530. They truly ARE wonders!! And NOT to be compared with machines from Walmart.

Anyone in NYS who is interested in some vintage all steel Singer machines at reasonable prices can send me a PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 AM

I agree with you. I have bought several sewing machines that required work to be done on them,to buy replacement parts for a Pfaff serger was more expensive than the serger was worth. I check out eBay and ShopGoodwill.com, but when I have the urge to purchase a sewing machine that needs fixing, I have to remind myself to just walk away. I understand your feelings.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:31 AM

Vintage and antique sewing machine accumulation and use is a hobby for most. I don't think any public notice or declaration of quitting the hobby is necessary IMHO. Best of Luck with newer machines.

Jon
Old 02-15-2013, 10:13 AM

I just looked at Singers web site. YUCKAPOOIE! There is not one single machine there that I would pay money for.
I'd rather use my vintage cast iron behemoths after I've spent the time to refurb them, than pay for a new piece of plastic junque.
The newest machine we have now is a Singer 4622A circa early 90s. It's got 20+ built in stitches and is still mechanical. It works good and we only have about $18.00 or so dollars in it all total. It still has too much plastic for me.

My favorite machine for piecing my denim quilts is Minerva, my Minnesota Mdl B circa 1909. She just keeps on going. She's 104 years old and will no doubt be sewing after I've taken my dirt nap.

That is the kind of product our country should be making. But not any more. I shall remain in the vintage machine club. I like the old ones.

Joe
Old 02-15-2013, 11:23 AM

I like both the old and new machines. I have a Kenmore that is not vintage, and it is great. I have a cute little Singer that works ok, but I had to have it serviced, adding to the cost.