Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
'Improved Eldredge Rotary' Mystery! >

'Improved Eldredge Rotary' Mystery!

'Improved Eldredge Rotary' Mystery!

Old 05-31-2020, 03:16 PM

Default 'Improved Eldredge Rotary' Mystery!

I've fallen in love with my first vintage sewing machine!...I had been warned it would become a wonderful addiction to restore and bring life back into her. As much as I have scoured the internet, I cannot identify which type or model she is. There are two spools, runs with treadle only, has written on the front: "Improved Eldredge Rotary" ...On the front right is the number: 34716.

In one of the drawers were wrinkled page/pieces of a manual that when pieced and taped back together don't help in saying anything about which make, type, or model she is.

Am new to this, but would sure appreciate and welcome some help - thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails img_6622.jpg   img_6634.jpg  
Old 05-31-2020, 05:53 PM

She is a beautiful lady. I know nothing about these older machines except that I think they are fascinating.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:13 PM

Welcome aboard Eldridge and National were related, so that may be a hint. The button on the deck near the middle closest to the operator should push down a spring latch and let you tilt the head back in the cabinet.Oil everything that moves. It will be a beauty. Can you send a pic of the bobbin area when you slip the slide open? Keep anything water based away from it.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:41 PM

Ditto, what Leon said, especially about water. Sewing machine oil on cotton ball or cotton cloth will clean it up. There is a thread How to Clean Up and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav about cleaning vintage & antique machines. (Leon, I think the winder is too short. )

A page that might help show some of the Eldredge & National associations can be found at http://needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.ph...otary_Machines

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 05-31-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:19 PM

Default Needle close up pics...

Thank you! I'll check these sites out and hope to get clues to which machine I've inherited so I can search out a manual...I've learned a lot from this website - there's a lot to learn before tackling this project. Here are the close ups of the needle area.
Attached Thumbnails img_6620.jpg   img_6637.jpg   img_6638.jpg  
Old 05-31-2020, 08:40 PM

From the website you suggested that I check, it looks like there is a machine that 'almost' matches...just a little different on the head...can you see the difference?
Attached Thumbnails img_6639.png   img_6640.png   annotation-2020-05-31-213137.png  
Old 06-01-2020, 05:49 AM

Those swing bobbin slides have kept many machines alive. Some get tossed when the slides disappear.

Winder on both machines look the same.

Glad you got to see underbed. Should be a fun one.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:39 AM

I wasn't able to find a manual for the treadle rotary, but did find some references to one for an electric model. It should be helpful for threading. I'm not sure, but since the electrics are direct drive, but I think the hand wheel will turn clockwise.

http://silkmothsewing.blogspot.com/2...g-machine.html
https://amandawynn.com/2015/06/17/se...edge-rotary-b/

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 06-02-2020, 06:22 AM

That is made by National. They made "badged" machines for many resellers, however "Eldredge" was one of their names, as National was formed by the merger of Eldredge, June and I think one other company.

The hard part about manuals - since National sold so many badged machines (like 600-1000 different names) most of their manuals do not have a machine name or model on them. They look rather generic so you often have to match the pictures with your machine to get the correct one.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:43 PM

Love your cabinet, too!