Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Inside the Davis Sewing Machine Factory in 1881 >

Inside the Davis Sewing Machine Factory in 1881

Inside the Davis Sewing Machine Factory in 1881

Old 12-24-2015, 02:19 PM

I wonder if our school trips ever went to Batsto, it certainly fits the profile of old crafts that I remember. Cross-stitch on punched paper, anyone?

The glass factory in Bridgeton which employed my grandparents was shuttered as long as I remember, Wheaton Glass had become Wheaton something-about-plastics-and-containers but they built an artists' village for art glass...I just don't know, it's been too long.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:35 PM

Batsto is still strikingly beautiful. Here's a little information on it:

https://yournewjersey.wordpress.com/...on-state-park/

While walking around the various cottages I noticed an old Singer 31-15 Industrial treadle. Must have been from the village tailor or seamstress.

Jon
Old 12-26-2015, 05:03 PM
KLO

Yes, Batsto is beautiful as are a number of places in Southern NJ. I don't think people who have never been to NJ realize just how lovely South Jersey is. There are too many bad jokes about NJ not to mention the TV show "Jersey Shore". We did a lot of canoeing all around South Jersey when I was just a sprout. Spent my Summer weekends in Avalon back when there weren't million dollar houses all over the place. We were the next to last house in Avalon to get electricity. After marriage, we spent a great deal of the summer in Ocean City because my dh learned to fly and there was an airport in Ocean City. He kept his plane at Cross Keys normally and flew into Millville airport on a number of occasions. Jon, we know you area very well although it has probably changed a lot since we have been gone. Bet the mosquitoes haven't changed though .... lol. We've got them here in NC also. Guess they are everywhere!

Last edited by KLO; 12-26-2015 at 05:05 PM.