interchangability of parts

Old 05-02-2020, 06:51 AM

Default interchangability of parts

Is that a word? Not sure. My machine, a 1917 White Rotary, is a low shank with screw on feet. Will parts for other machines (Singer, etc) fit mine as long as they are LS and side screw? This machine came with a set of rolled hem/felling attachments and what appears to be a ruffler, and of course a straight stitch foot was on it, but that's all. Also, does anyone know of a parts source for old Whites like mine? I have mentioned that it came without what they call a rear cover plate which is necessary to wind bobbins. So far I have been unable to find one online.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:46 AM

A picture would help. I have three White Rotary machines dated from 1933 to 1955 and none of them have a low shank foot that screws on the left side of the foot like Singer low shank machines. They all have what is called a top clamp foot.

The bobbin winders mount under the hand wheel and then move up to ride on the hand wheel to wind the bobbin.

Pictures from front, back, needle end and hand wheel end would help. A picture of the serial number, too.

We like pictures. You will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB How to post images on Quilting Board can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button,

You said (on the other thread ) you found an online manual to read, but did not link to it. Was it like https://res.cloudinary.com/singer-se...e-rotary-x.pdf ?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 05-02-2020, 07:46 AM

I think they would fit. I have used feet made for vintage German machines on my Singers with no difficulty... The only issue I can think of would be the width of the feed-dogs, say they are too wide or too narrow compared to the presser foot.
You won't risk anything by trying, you won't ruin your machine, the worse that can happen is a bad stitch, maybe a thread nest and wasting a bit of thread and a scrap of fabric
Old 05-02-2020, 07:55 AM

Hi to both of you. My feet screw on from right to left. I measured the height to determine it was low shank. I found the manual on the ISMACS.net website. What the manual and instructions call a rear cover plate fits under the rear spool mount and provides two holes that line the thread up for winding. I actually found a you tube video showing how to wind the thread on my machine. That was the only way I figured out what was missing. It is part number 796.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:57 AM

Okay, now I "get it" - it is for the spool pin that is located closest to the hand wheel and not in the middle of the arm. It is like the White 11 that we have. Yet again on the other thread you said "And then they replaced the spool holder and base backwards so the oiling holes don't line up with the body of the machine!" Isn't that the same thing as part number 796? I'm guessing that the arm of that part is broken off. The 11 is tucked away and hard to get to, so I can't take a picture of it.

I also get how you figured "My feet screw on from right to left." Actually, to change the feet, you rotate the knurled nut, as indicated by the red arrow, counter clockwise and slide the foot out toward the front of the machine. If you click on the thumbnail, it will open the picture to a larger size. You will have to click the "back arrow" to get back. Or, you can right click and open in a new tab/window, so that you can close the picture without losing the tab/window with this thread.

knurled.jpg

So, no, the Singer low shank feet will not work on your machine.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 05-02-2020 at 09:01 AM. Reason: additional info regarding picture.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:16 AM

Sorry for misinforming you... I didn't get the "screw" part, I thought you meant screw as in "with a clamp screw"

*sitting quietly in a corner listening to Janey*
Old 05-02-2020, 09:27 AM

That was my initial thought, too. But then realized what machine it was and that it was highly unlikely that they would have changed out the bar to accept the regular low shank feet.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:39 AM

Default bobbin winder issue & feet

Thank you everyone who replied to my posts. This has been such an education! After umpteen million hours online I have found the following: there are two different models for the spool holder that feeds the bobbin winder. One is what I have, with no guide arm for winding the bobbin, and one with. why anybody would want to have one with no bobbin winding guide arm escapes me. I found one completely different as well, with the spool holder permanently mounted on the right end of the cover plate directly over the thread guide arm with a screw in the middle where every other model allowed the spool holder to screw the plate down..There are also two models of thread guides, one that sticks out (early)and one that curves over the side of the machine body ( later, and is the one shown in the youtube video). Also, exhausting searching found that my serial number falls into the 1917 to 1918 range (Fiddlebase.com). However, I had been confused because the last patent date on my bobbin plate is 1905. However, this is undoubtedly not the correct cover. I had wondered why there was a gap at the forward edge of the slide plate (closest to the sewer) although the main plate, where the feeder dogs and needles do their magic, fits into the wooden cabinet top just fine. So somebody, sometime, needed to replace the left side of the bobbin cover plates and the 1905 plate fit into the needle/feed dog side. So, now I need to find a thread guide for the bobbin winder, and the correct bobbin plate (or it's going to be a lint issue) and I'll be in business. I guess I'm lucky it came with a presser foot on it and some loaded bobbins, and of course, it does sew, which is more than it was expected to do for at least the last thirty-five years. And I think I need to call it her.