Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
ISMACS magazine article requests >

ISMACS magazine article requests

ISMACS magazine article requests

Old 05-09-2023, 08:34 AM

Default ISMACS magazine article requests

Good morning,

ISMACS is on the hunt for article submissions for their quarterly magazine. I've messaged several people individually about particular topics but thought I'd put out a general call.

What are we looking for?

Interesting articles about antique sewing machines and manufacturers and all related stuff. If you think it is interesting and if you think you have something to contribute to the discussion, let me know. Articles with some sort of pictures is also great because after all, everyone reads for the articles but they are really there for the pictures.

But I'm not a good writer

That's OK. We have good writers. Write something up and we can massage it into article form, then kick it back to you to make sure we didn't completely change what you meant to say.

What do you get out of it?

Your name in lights (OK, print, but it's a simile). A copy of the magazine (gratis!). Of course if you are a member you already get a copy but we could probably arrange an extra copy to give to your mother.

The joy of knowing that you shared your passion.

When should you send in your submissions?

We try to have the magazine ready to go a month before it goes to print. That means that our deadlines are end of February, May, August, November. However if you miss a deadline then we just set it aside for a future issue. Nothing wrong with having a stack of great articles ready to go.

How do I know if my article is new or has already been covered in a previous edition?

Go to the ISMACS webpage and there is an Index of the first 99 issues (yes, it's out of date, this June will be our 150th issue. Another thing for our volunteers to update.). Dig around a bit and see what you find. If your article isn't there, send us a note and we can check the more recent issues pending us getting that updated.

Are you making money off the magazine or ISMACS?

Absolutely not. ISMACS is a non-profit and our people are volunteers. A few of the positions receive a small stipend to cover expenses but no one is paid a salary. I, as chair, do not. I am doing this because I think it's worthwhile and important.

What if I have more questions?

I'm happy to answer them. You can PM me here or send me an email at [email protected].

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this and for considering whether your knowledge and background could contribute to the effort.