Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Issues with Brother Charger 441 >

Issues with Brother Charger 441

Issues with Brother Charger 441

Old 10-21-2015, 12:17 AM

Cari, yes my machines are the newer ones with the drop in bobbins.....I just knew I was answering for an older machine, but brain fog made me answer anyway! One of my machines is a 2002 model, then a 2004, and a 2011. Both the 2002 and 2004 are embroidery/sewing machines, but the 2011 is sewing only.

Please forgive me jennabobbena, but maybe I helped someone else with a problem somewhere down the line.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:32 AM
Power Poster

I would first service the machine - clean and oil, put in a brand spanking NEW never before used needle and new spool felt. Also be sure the spool of thread is feeding nice and smooth. In this machine, be sure the flat side of the needle goes toward the shaft. Thread goes through the groove side of the needle. As I clean a machine I check for burrs and dried oil deposits in any thread path. I would clean and adjust the tension and the bobbin case tension including the center pin. It that pin has drag from old oil or the fork thingy is bent, the tension won't work right. When I adjust the tension, I would make sure the machine is threaded with new thread and strung up according to the manual. I would test the pressure on the presser foot according to manual. If it works fine for somebody else it is likely a user problem but I would want to compare swatches with the buggared and the one pronounced good.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:41 AM
Banned

All good ideas Miriam. Now I have a confession to make. The other day I had one of my beloved Brothers jam up on me. There's a first time for everything, right? it was my 160 Cambridge, an end loading straight stitcher.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]535072[/ATTACH]
I was putting the binding on a baby quilt when the needle jammed and the bobbin thread broke. I unjammed it, pulled up the bobbin thread and started again. Same thing happened right away. So I took out the bobbin and oh, man, it was possibly the worst wound bobbin I've ever seen. I know I didn't wind a bobbin like this so I must have grabbed it out of my box of older bobbins.(Hey, it's white thread, just what I need). It was wound so sloppy right in the center it wrapped back on itself, essentially causing a snarl right on the bobbin. So, my lesson learned is never say never and check older bobbins a little more carefully.

Cari
Attached Thumbnails brother-160-cambridge.jpg  
Old 11-07-2015, 07:57 PM

My first thought is to change the bobbin. It may be bent or damaged in some way. Which would explain why the machine acts fine in the shop -- they would use their own bobbin to sew-off. Or like Cari-in-oli says, maybe the bobbin is wound sloppy. Second thought is the bobbin case. You can get a new replacement for less than $3.00 -- part #JOJO13.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:52 PM

I just bought this Brother zigzag model 441 Charger. It needed oil but all freed up and works well. It came with photo copy of manual.