Joe's fun afternoon .... :-<

Old 06-20-2012, 02:50 PM

Default Joe's fun afternoon .... :-<

Several weeks ago I was sewing with our Singer 413. It did a wonderful job of sewing some batting for my quilt cover intended for the #2 treadle.

Then last week my wife was sewing on the machine and commenting on how it was making really nice stitches and doing quite well. Then she said, hey what's going on. Well the bobbin drive had quit.
The vertical drive shaft top gear had shed it's teeth.

We got a replacement gear from the local SM guy and I put it in. Something has gone wrong inside and although the machine sews good, it now has one heck of a rattle. I've been searching for this rattle for several days.
I can't count how many times I've had the top and bottom off the machine. Done this and done that. Tightened this, tightened that, loosened the other. Took the bobbin drive belt off to see if the noise was coming from there ... nope.
Pushing on this part then next while the machine was running to see if it was causing the noise. Nope.
So while pushing on things I got too close to the hook. The rotary hook rotated right through the end of my finger like it wasn't there.

I felt the hook 'hit' my finger, it didn't even hurt. But, being the intelligent, yeah right, individual I am, I knew right off the hook had cut right through my finger.
So I nonchalantly told my wife, "I'm bleeding." She gave me a funny look and I told her what dumb thing I did and she just rolled her eyes.
It didn't bleed long and it still doesn't hurt. And I don't know how deep the cut is.
But, I have learned the hooks are sharp and wont slow down when you stick your finger in it.

My wife's comment: "That was dumb thing to do, sticking your finger in there."

Yep, it sure was.

And the stupid machine still rattles. I cannot find the rattle. I told my wife I was going to put back together and I wanted her to sew the pee waddins out of it until it either broke or quit making noise.
I will probably rattle for the rest of it's life.

Joe
Old 06-20-2012, 05:59 PM

Did you replace the gear the broken one meshed with? If not, that is your rattle since the gears teeth are not meshing evenly. If both gears are plastic you may never get rid of the rattle, if the opposing gear is metal it will probably quiet down after your wife sews the "pee waddins" out of it and the plastic wears away against the metal gear.
Or not.

Sorry about your finger. Ouch.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:12 PM

Nope, didn't replace the driving gear. To do that would have required removing the entire upper shaft and I do not know how to do that. Well, I could get it out, but putting everything back in and getting it adjusted with no shop manual ..... somehow I don't think so.

Machine sews fine, all controls and stitches work. Just rattles like crazy. I've got so many machines to work on this one might just find it's way to the sewing machine mechanic.

Finger still doesn't hurt, but if I take the bandade off it leaks.

Joe
Old 06-21-2012, 11:15 AM

Oh Joe - Hope it heals soon; forget the blame machine!!
Old 06-21-2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by JoyjoyMarie View Post
Oh Joe - Hope it heals soon; forget the blame machine!!
It's on the shelf. It will get used eventually.

Joe
Old 06-21-2012, 02:03 PM

It's probably those missing teeth rattling around.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:22 PM

How's the finger today Joe?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
It's probably those missing teeth rattling around.
LOL, That's what my wife said even after I told her I cleaned the driving gear out.
So we took the vacuum sweeper and reversed the hose and blew out the machine. Darned if we didn't get pieces and parts of that gear out. Didn't help, it still rattles.

Joe
Old 06-21-2012, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
How's the finger today Joe?
Not too bad actually. The bleeding stopped but it's really sensitive.

Joe
Old 06-22-2012, 09:11 AM

i concur with the gears no longer meshing up correctly. DH has a lots of old metal, International mostly, and i've heard him talk about needing to replace both sets of gears when something like that happens. Running it until it breaks again is sometimes his solution as well when it runs fine and just rattles