Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Just added one to the Holy Grail machine list >

Just added one to the Holy Grail machine list

Just added one to the Holy Grail machine list

Old 11-29-2015, 11:11 AM

Default Just added one to the Holy Grail machine list

My wife learned to sew on an old black Singer. She said she and her sisters as well as their mother run the stuffins out of that machine. Her mother eventually trading it for a Bernina.

My wife described it as a standard black Singer with a knee bar case. She has told me the 66s were very familiar to her, but she didn't remember any further details.
Today I talked to my SIL and she described the machine. What it turned out to be is a 201-2 portable in a knee bar case.

So today I officially added to the Holy Grail list a 201-2 knee bar machine. I've only seen one or two on Shop GW and those were in poor to fair condition.

When I get one it will be fun watching my wife return to her child hood.

Joe
Old 11-29-2015, 11:57 AM

Knee bar was common here on the ones in domed cases, but for cast iron Singers in general I think pedal gradually became the most common. I'm not sure when it happened. I've seen very early foot controllers too, and my thoughts have been knee lever was for some reason popular early on while pedal sort of took over at some point, both options existed side by side way up into the 50s. How old is your 201? My 201 is a belt driven machine, and I suspect she will be suprised how smooth running it is, compared to even the most modern machine.

Congratulations on your find :- )
Old 11-29-2015, 12:01 PM

Seems like you've mentioned wanting one before. Last year or the year before I think. I'll keep my eyes open around here while I'm looking too. I know I haven't seen more than one or two go by-probably around the last time it came up.
We did have a most wanted thread a while back.
I think I'll start a new one. Should be fun.
Rodney
Old 11-29-2015, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

That is so sweet of you Joe. I HOPE you are able to find the special one.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
Knee bar was common here on the ones in domed cases, but for cast iron Singers in general I think pedal gradually became the most common. I'm not sure when it happened. I've seen very early foot controllers too, and my thoughts have been knee lever was for some reason popular early on while pedal sort of took over at some point, both options existed side by side way up into the 50s. How old is your 201? My 201 is a belt driven machine, and I suspect she will be suprised how smooth running it is, compared to even the most modern machine.

Congratulations on your find :- )
Mickey,

I didn't find one, just found out the information. I'm now officially looking for one.

The 201-2 we currently have is a Centennial model made in 51. It's in a 4 drawer cabinet that looks like a treadle top on an electric leg bottom.

Joe
Old 11-29-2015, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Seems like you've mentioned wanting one before. Last year or the year before I think. I'll keep my eyes open around here while I'm looking too. I know I haven't seen more than one or two go by-probably around the last time it came up.
We did have a most wanted thread a while back.
I think I'll start a new one. Should be fun.
Rodney
Yes, I have "sorta" been looking for one, but now I'm seriously looking for one. It'll be fun when I do find one.

Joe
Old 11-29-2015, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

That will be fun when you find one.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:03 PM

Will keep my eyes open but the 201's I normally see are in tables. Are you willing to travel to NJ if i find one?
Old 11-30-2015, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Will keep my eyes open but the 201's I normally see are in tables. Are you willing to travel to NJ if i find one?
Sounds like a road trip for sure, but no, no traveling to NJ. At least not in the foreseeable future.

Joe
Old 11-30-2015, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Mickey,

I didn't find one, just found out the information. I'm now officially looking for one.

The 201-2 we currently have is a Centennial model made in 51. It's in a 4 drawer cabinet that looks like a treadle top on an electric leg bottom.

Joe
I misunderstood, must have bee the "added to the holy grail list" part I misread somehow. What about finding any full size machine in a domed case with knee lever and switch it with a 201-2? I think the older before 1950 are nice, they have the art nouveau decor on the chrome plates ;- )